Fastest way to seed beneficial bacteria using sponge filters

Axolponics

On 10/2/2021 at 5:49 PM, Torrey said:

My partner (retired Navy) in VA used to joke that Murphy gave up by the time he got to back up plan K for my plan C, and if I had joined and gone into intel like they tried to recruit me, military intelligence would not be an oxymoron.... but no one would graduate boot camp under me either 🤣

We would so get along ....😂 You had me and back up plan K🤣

On 10/2/2021 at 4:33 PM, ARMYVET said:

Wrong....so so so wrong...🤣

I am military folk and I swear the more backup systems I put into place I feel like im just daring "Murphy" to prove where I screwed up....put nothing in place and nothing ever seems to go wrong.  I still have some but nothing like I ever used to🙄

You may be right.  We didn’t get more than a flicker of a power outage during Snowpocalypse this February but I put the first battery UPS on the 75 about 2 weeks ago, and had the next 2 sitting there, mocking my lack of motivation, when we had power out for about 3 hours.  At least I was able to put the UPS into action on the 100 G and the Low Row (Bad Pea Daddy, BB King Betta, and pea puffer shoal, 2 with only plants and snails right now).  Puffer fry have zippity bioload so far in a 10 G with 4 sponge filters worth about 80 gallons of filtration, so the only worry was laser cories in QT.  So I lifted cups of water and poured them back in every 15 minutes or so for them and fry.

New UPS should be here Tuesday to run ALL the air pumps now.  Hope I don’t jinx myself worse by adding them.  😆 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 5:52 PM, Odd Duck said:

You may be right.  We didn’t get more than a flicker of a power outage during Snowpocalypse this February but I put the first battery UPS on the 75 about 2 weeks ago, and had the next 2 sitting there, mocking my lack of motivation, when we had power out for about 3 hours.  At least I was able to put the UPS into action on the 100 G and the Low Row (Bad Pea Daddy, BB King Betta, and pea puffer shoal, 2 with only plants and snails right now).  Puffer fry have zippity bioload so far in a 10 G with 4 sponge filters worth about 80 gallons of filtration, so the only worry was laser cories in QT.  So I lifted cups of water and poured them back in every 15 minutes or so for them and fry.

New UPS should be here Tuesday to run ALL the air pumps now.  Hope I don’t jinx myself worse by adding them.  😆 

Im telling you!!

I have a whole house generator.....here in hurricane alley...you better have one.  As I was building the fish room I said that I was going to make sure the fish room would have double back up n the generator buy using 2 separate circuits.   Planned it all out...built it and everything is good to go.  I swear to the heavens above....one week after I brought tank number 20 online in the fish room.  While I was at work we had a huge thunderstorm pass thru and the power went out because I got the notification.  To my horror the generator never came on. The power was out for 3 hours and no pumps air or water or anything was running for 3 hours.  I just knew I was going home to dead bodies everywhere.

I got lucky and didnt lose any fish....upon inspection I found that the batter for the generator...yes it starts using a car battery had a short in the cell.  It would measure 12 volts but no amps.  So the generator would not turn on.  Well I got that fixed and went out about bought not one....not 2 ....but 3 UPS battery backups.  They are daisy chained together and the central air pump that runs the fish room is plugged into it.  If the power goes out then the UPS keeps it running when the first one runs out of power the second one continues until its dead...then the third one takes over.  I have tested this and now I can go 15 hours with no power and the sponge filters keep right on going.  Now the likely hood of losing power...losing the generator....and all 3 UPS systems.....this should be foolproof....of course now that I said that....good ole Murphy is going to show me where I screwed up....Just you watch!

On 10/2/2021 at 5:06 PM, ARMYVET said:

I have tested this and now I can go 15 hours with no power and the sponge filters keep right on going.  Now the likely hood of losing power...losing the generator....and all 3 UPS systems.....this should be foolproof....of course now that I said that....good ole Murphy is going to show me where I screwed up....Just you watch

Dang Murphy, anyway!  I’d have a whole house system in Florida, too.  I’m inland far enough it should be less of an issue, but then, Snowpocalypse struck and there were people without electric or water for as much as 2 weeks in the ‘burbs.  I heard even longer in a few small outlying towns.  The entire state of Texas’ utilities apparently had zero back up plans in place for such severe cold and snow.  🙄🤦🏻‍♀️  No plan B or C, let alone plan K like @Torrey.

So I’m at least going for battery back up for air/sponges.  Then I’ll work toward a whole house gennie even if we don’t go full auto.  Since I’m currently mostly working swing shifts or that nasty night shift every other week, there aren’t many times when either myself or hubby can’t get home within a few hours to turn on a gennie.  Current UPS (including the on-the-ways) will last that long for air pumps/sponges.

Hubs and I both enjoy some motor sports, so we’ll probably get a couple 55 G drums of gas and a pump and work our way through them with gas for jet skis, motorcycles/4 wheelers, lawnmowers, weed eaters, etc, so the gas doesn’t go bad.  We can burn 10 G of gas in a day riding jet skis, or in a weekend on 4 wheelers/motorcycles.  Fill drum, burn through the old one, fill the empty drum, burn through the other one, etc.

At least, that’s plan C, for now.  A and B are already in place.