Hello from CA -- Getting back into the hobby after 15 years

MatticusRexxor

No harm but not necessary- a single check valve is fine. I would say get the biggest heater you can afford between 150-300 watts. The bigger it Is the less effort it has to put in to keep the tank temp. Or you could put in 2 - 100s. Everyone has a favorite brand. I favor the Fluval digital and the Eheim manual heater with the blue, black and red top. 

Your shopping and stocking list looks good. In a 29 g you could have a single Angelfish as centerpiece as the other fish are big enough not to be lunch. I’m also partial to festivums. 

Another easy plant is bolbitis. It grows well in a tank with some gentle to high flow and it’ll like the minerals. Aponogetons like crispus, ulvaceus and Madagascar lace are great. Dwarf aquarium lillies are fun. Plants help cycle the tank and usually some snails come with it which will help cycle the tank. With 3 filters you’ll do well I think. I tend to over filter. 

Can’t wait to see your results and great job with  the journey back to the hobby. 

• Like 1

Welcome back to the hobby. My 2 cents would be don’t leave your aquarium light on too long. I made the mistake of ogling my new clean aquarium all day long. Then the algae came with a vengeance. The plants in this tank all look like green velvet. Put your light on a timer. I think 8-10 hours is the general depending on your plat selection. 

Welcome! You might want to put this in the photos, videos, and journal section too.

You should look up aquariums online for inspiration. In my mind the best plants to get for low maintenance are tissue culture cryptocorynes. These can be found easily even at big box retailers. They have basically a 100% success rate for me and look great. If you're in Socal I can get you trimmings of stem plants later as well.

As for heaters, you will find a variety of opinions, though the one consistency you will find is that they are inconsistent.

Personally, I use 2 heaters (200w each) in a 75 gallon, and I have one set a few degrees lower, and it almost never turns on. It seems the one 200W heater is fully sufficient heating 75 gallons to 78.3 degrees, when the room temp is about 68-70. Also, the heater actually cycles (on/off) less, which I prefer. If you get a single heater for the 29 gallon, and the watts are high, it will cycle quite a bit. The theory is that the constant cycling is what kills the heaters.

You would probably be okay with a single 100-150W, and you can get an Inkbird controller as a failsafe.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/2/2021 at 6:08 PM, Odd Duck said:

I would use at least an ACO medium (or maybe 2).  Large would be even better but those boys are chonks and take up more width.  I was today years old (or was it last night?) when I learned that you could attach and stack the ACO sponge filters.  So 2 sponges worth in the same floor space!  Keep the spare parts and at least one extra Ziss Never Clog (rarely clog) airstone, airline, and valves always on hand and you could convert back to two separate, seasoned filters in minutes.

Can you explain more about the assembly of 2 stacked sponge filters? With Photos if possible.

I recently moved and my 40ish gal  (Appx 18x20 floor x 24tall) is now in my living room. It has a HOB and the water sounds are driving me nuts!  I don’t have much floor space to accommodate 2 separate sponges. Will stacking work for me? 2 mediums or 2 larges?

On 10/31/2021 at 10:24 AM, Guppysnail said:

Here are pics. I only had the sponge portion to a small for one I used the med on another project. I included pictures of the ziss airstone quieting upgrade as well. Just ask if you have questions 

1E0CFFF2-EDC2-449B-8FFD-6E20805D897F.jpeg

4A56CED7-D4B0-4B46-A758-DEAB47181473.jpeg

79EB11E0-D55A-46C3-932E-F6E12A798A6E.jpeg

EB035283-F97C-4CC3-8DE0-7FC58053A19D.jpeg

3B5E75D3-3933-4E1E-9D44-06F4FE0699E0.jpeg

D4D0E907-DEBF-4E05-B3A0-3900C4F03B74.jpeg

660C8AE3-F899-40F7-83B6-D5A0C37A73FA.jpeg

That's what I ended up doing, though I might switch to just the two sponge filters on either side of the tank.  Cutting sponge to fit the box filter proved to be more difficult than I imagined.

I've soaked a piece of Mopoani wood for a good three weeks, and have assembled just about all of my equipment.  I should be ready to set up the aquarium and buy plants this weekend.

• Like 1

Lots of swimming room for schooling and shoaling fishes. Definitely down the road could do some bristlenose plecos with a piece of wood like that they’d be in heaven.
In terms of the scape I’d put another plant in the back right just behind the biggest part of the wood there. Something big valisineria, crinum, an aponogeton or dwarf aquarium Lilly. It’s a great start. Can’t wait to see it grown in!  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/28/2021 at 8:44 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@MatticusRexxorhows the tank going? Any updates? Hope all’s well!

The tank is thus far doing alright.  I've got some decent plant growth, plus some worms and snails that seem to have hitched a ride into the aquarium.  I'm currently posting all of my updates in a thread in the journal section, if you want to see the current state of things.

On 11/28/2021 at 7:58 PM, farrell989 said:

@MatticusRexxor

are you able to get your light to come on at a 50% power or anything other than 100?

I know that I can set it on a timer with the remote, but I don't know about manually adjusting the output.  I probably can, but I'd have to look at the manual.