Regarding Matten Filters From FlipAquatics

FiShrewd

hey i wanted to hear as many people tell me about the matten filter that flipaquatics make

specially the 29 gallon 40 breeder and the 55 gallon

also one request can you tell me about the setup you use

the fish plants and invertebrates you have

and also what air pump and stuff are you using

On 9/28/2021 at 11:31 AM, gardenman said:

The first place I ever saw or heard of Matten filters was the Swiss Tropicals site. They've been selling them for years and have detailed information there on the use of the filters. You might want to check them out for Matten filter information.

yes, check out swiss tropicals. I'm not sure if he came up with the idea, but he was at leats one of the first people to use them, and has the supplies and knowledge, I have talked to him at the Ohio Cichlid extravaganza before, and very nice guy to talk to and gain knowledge from. 

I have never used one personall and I believe they work quite well from what I have researched about them.  But in my opinion...they are way to expensive for any large number of tanks.  They cost as much as a small HOB and you still need an air source to run it and no option for any chemical filtration unlike with a HOB.  

Its basically a very large sponge filter .... SO if thats the case Id rather run a large sponge filter at 1/3 the cost. 

I do know that Dean uses them in Some of his tanks...not sure why some and not others. Probably hast to do with the breeding requirements but dont quote me on the.  Cory doesn't not use them at all and told us so in one of his videos. 

I am curious to her @Zenzo thought on them and what types of filtration he has going in his fish room.  

• Administrators

On 9/28/2021 at 10:50 AM, ARMYVET said:

I have never used one personall and I believe they work quite well from what I have researched about them.  But in my opinion...they are way to expensive for any large number of tanks.  They cost as much as a small HOB and you still need an air source to run it and no option for any chemical filtration unlike with a HOB.  

Its basically a very large sponge filter .... SO if thats the case Id rather run a large sponge filter at 1/3 the cost. 

I do know that Dean uses them in Some of his tanks...not sure why some and not others. Probably hast to do with the breeding requirements but dont quote me on the.  Cory doesn't not use them at all and told us so in one of his videos. 

I am curious to her @Zenzo thought on them and what types of filtration he has going in his fish room.  

I have not used them. While they do offer a lot of surface area and can be good filters in many situations, I have never seen a real benefit to using them over a sponge (which are easier to clean and service in my opinion). I run sponges in almost every tank. 

The thought of having to service a matten filter in a non-bare bottom tank is enough for me to steer clear. 

I had planned to use Swiss tropicals corner matten filter in my 75 gallon but wound up setting up in the middle of the room instead and for that application I prefer the regular sponge filter.   The appeal of a corner matten filter against the wall is because I use black backgrounds on my goldfish tank and a black corner matten filter would have blended in quite well with the background.   I have no desire for the regular matten filter because I find them unappealing visually but I'm sure for a ulitarian tank they would be awesome.   Rachel O'Leary did a video on a corner matten filter she installed if you want to look it up.   Also I remember watching a video of Simply Betta setting up a regular matten filter for some of her tanks.   

Edited by Kathy F
Spelled Rachel O'leary's name wrong - Corrected
  • Like 1

We run HMF on nearly all of our tanks and are getting ready to buy some more for the new rack we are working on. Like David we really like them as well. Cleaning is a pain but we have some that have been running for several years with no maintenance at all.  Below is how we typically clean them, ymmv.

1) Drain the majority of the water.

2) Depending on how many HMFs I’m trying to clean at one time I may or may not add a air stone.

3) Pull the top of the HMF down and remove the jetlifter(s).

4) Remove the HMF and place into a bucket, plastic tub, rubber made trash can on wheels or anything else that works for you.

5) Take them outside and hose them off with tap water from the water hose.

6) Before reinstalling the HMFs we use a piece of polycarbonate plastic that has been cut to be a little longer than the tank is wide so that it can scrape any gravel / sand back that may of sloughed of or fell to where the filter sits or behind it. When cutting the poly I also make sure that it is higher than whatever water level I want so that it keeps the fish from being squished or trapped behind the HMF.

7) Once the polycarbonate is installed we reinstall the filters and do a initial fill.

😎 If the water is cloudier or has more debris than I like I’ll do a few water changes to try and clean it up.