Melanistic bnp

Daviscoast

Some pictures would be helpful! 

Melanistic animals isnt unheard of but pretty rare. I know the gene is dominant or recessive depending on the species. But if it is dominant, then I would hope yours is melanistic, if its recessive, I dont think theres any chance of it being melanistic. 

Im guessing you got some pretty dark plecos but I'm not 100% sure, I am hopeful that they are indeed true melanistic. 

• Like 1

I think that it probably more of a reversion to back to a natural color darker color. A few questions is the albino a true ablino or Leucistic.. it’s still a Juvenile and a darker juvenile with last longer in the wild than a lighter(assuming that would be a benefit) it it grows out to be very dark. Search out other dark specimens and try to breed for that dark color like they do for albino and Leucistic types Bn

On 9/27/2021 at 5:00 AM, Brandon p said:

I think that it probably more of a reversion to back to a natural color darker color. A few questions is the albino a true ablino or Leucistic.. it’s still a Juvenile and a darker juvenile with last longer in the wild than a lighter(assuming that would be a benefit) it it grows out to be very dark. Search out other dark specimens and try to breed for that dark color like they do for albino and Leucistic types Bn

I would guess that blue eyed lemons are the leucies of the BN’s.  But I also have doubts if albinos are truly albinos, but they do have pink looking eyes from the right angle, but a yellow tint to the iris.  There are also snow whites out there now but I haven’t seen those in person, only photos.  The pics I’ve seen look like they have a white iris but I haven’t seen any pics that look like there’s a pink retina.  They all look like there’s a dark retina behind the white iris, which is very interesting.

It would be very cool to see melanistics show up.  Black pigment vs brown could lead to some blues, eventually, since that’s a usually a dilution of black when it happens in normally brown animals.

This weekend I learned a local breeder had crossed a blue eyed lemon with a calico, and half the offspring came out calico, and the other half showed up as traditional coloring of the BNP.

Therefore, blue-eyed lemons are double recessive, and calico would be a blended, incomplete dominant trait?

Traditional coloring would be dominant. 

I'll admit, I love genetics. 

• Like 2

On 9/27/2021 at 5:20 PM, Torrey said:

This weekend I learned a local breeder had crossed a blue eyed lemon with a calico, and half the offspring came out calico, and the other half showed up as traditional coloring of the BNP.

Therefore, blue-eyed lemons are double recessive, and calico would be a blended, incomplete dominant trait?

Traditional coloring would be dominant. 

I'll admit, I love genetics. 

I’ve read that a blue-eyed crossed with an albino consistently throws browns, so they are clearly on different loci.  I also read that albino crossed with calico can throw browns so they may also be on different loci.

Apparently there is some evidence that albinism in BN may have independently arisen on more than one loci as there have been multiple reports of albino x albino throwing all browns.

Not complicated or anything.

Albino crossed with calico het to albino should throw 50:50 - albino:calico, but can apparently throw half brown so I’m guessing the brown comes from the albino being at the “other” loci.  Het to other colors crossed to calico doesn’t typically get you anything but brown, I think.

Then let’s mix in super red, green dragon, snow white, . . . . Too much for tonight.  I know red is a morph of calico so red crossed to pure calico gets all calicos het to red.  I read that red crossed to albinos also gets brown so those must be different loci, too, and canceling recessives.

Time for bed for me.

On 9/27/2021 at 10:51 PM, Odd Duck said:

Apparently there is some evidence that albinism in BN may have independently arisen on more than one loci as there have been multiple reports of albino x albino throwing all browns.

😳

Whelp, I guess I won't be doing simple squares on bn then!

On 9/28/2021 at 10:17 PM, Torrey said:

😳

Whelp, I guess I won't be doing simple squares on bn then!

Yep, that was the conclusion I reached.  I was trying to piece through it but haven’t been able to get it all sorted in my head, yet.  I think I might have to take some notes and keep digging on another day.