Weird white bumps on fish. Not ich.

Gannon

Just noticed these raised bumps today. Looked like the occasional missing scale I see on these guys every once in a while. The one closest to the head is a little red. The fish is acting normally and eating more than the others. Advice? What might it be? Should I just observe carefully the next couple days?

775C3CDE-21F6-49D7-BF82-4082F008EE56.jpeg

• Administrators

It could be a little bit of a bacterial infection from a wound/scrape. If you have a bacterial medication handy like Maracyn, that could help. I have a similar situation in one of my tanks and I am treating for bacterial infection.

Otherwise, some aquarium salt could also help. 

On 9/22/2021 at 6:14 PM, Zenzo said:

It could be a little bit of a bacterial infection from a wound/scrape. If you have a bacterial medication handy like Maracyn, that could help. I have a similar situation in one of my tanks and I am treating for bacterial infection.

Otherwise, some aquarium salt could also help. 

I do have maracyn! Should I do a full dose or should a little do the trick? Thanks!

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 9/22/2021 at 4:15 PM, Gannon said:

I do have maracyn! Should I do a full dose or should a little do the trick? Thanks!

Definitely do a full dose. Diluting meds may make them non-effective. I hope it works! 

On 9/22/2021 at 4:15 PM, Gannon said:

You never want to underdone antibiotics because they will adapt to it over time creating antibiotic resistant bacteria which is very bad and is why Canada banned the general use/ purchase of antibiotics for things like fish tanks. 

I would do a full and complete treatment

• Like 1