Did I just kill my Tiger Lotus Bulb?

Stef

Hi All, while transplanting my large tiger lotus bulb plant into a larger tank, it broke off from the little nut/bulb. The plant has lots of roots but is now detached from the bulb. It's planted in the new tank now and I gave it a root tab.  Is it done for?  I saved the little nut/bulb, which has about a 1/2" bare stem from where it broke off the main plant. I partially planted the bulb next to the full plant in case it can regrow. I don't know much about this plant. It was a pitiful little thing when it arrived from the Coop several months ago and just took off after planting in my little 3 gal betta tank. It quickly outgrew that tank is a solid 11" tall with 9 big leaves. 

• Like 1

If the plantlet broke off with the roots, you can plant the roots in the substrate and it will still thrive. Don't throw away the bulb, as another plant will sprout from it to start the process all over again. 

IME planting the bulb causes them to rot, so I wouldn't recommend planting the bulb itself. 

Edited by Tihshho

On 9/19/2021 at 6:13 PM, Stef said:

Hi All, while transplanting my large tiger lotus bulb plant into a larger tank, it broke off from the little nut/bulb. The plant has lots of roots but is now detached from the bulb. It's planted in the new tank now and I gave it a root tab.  Is it done for?  I saved the little nut/bulb, which has about a 1/2" bare stem from where it broke off the main plant. I partially planted the bulb next to the full plant in case it can regrow. I don't know much about this plant. It was a pitiful little thing when it arrived from the Coop several months ago and just took off after planting in my little 3 gal betta tank. It quickly outgrew that tank is a solid 11" tall with 9 big leaves. 

You did just right!  The plant may, or may not, regrow it’s own bulb but will still usually thrive in the right conditions with sufficient nutrients and light.  The bulb may, or may not, regrow a new plant.  It may take a lot of patient waiting to see a new plant or it may pop right up in a couple weeks.  As long as it stays down at substrate level on its own, there’s a decent chance of regrowing a plant from that bulb.  If it starts floating, that isn’t a good sign, but it still may not be the end.  Weight it down and give it more time.  Check it at least 1-2 times weekly with a gentle squeeze or poke - it should stay firm.  If it gets mushy, it’s done for, toss it out.

On 9/19/2021 at 7:13 PM, Stef said:

Mine did this too but it actually separated into three plants so now I have two growing ones with roots and the original root bulb!