mystery snail issue

dino

I have a mystery snail in my aquarium, and it used to roam all around the aquarium, but the past week it has been closed using its flap, the Guppy Fish kind of pluck on his trap door, I know it's not dead because every day it's in a different location. However, I do not see it crawling around anywhere all day. Does the snail go through some kind of hibernation phase?

• Like 1

Hi Dino,

While I am no snail expert,  I have had many snails.  Snails can rest sure, a day, two, three even.  If you see immobility for a week check the tank hardness.  You may have done this but GH and KH do make a difference in overall activity.  KH controls acidity which besides affecting the shell, I think may also affect the skin/body.  I have not read that any where or heard it any place, it just just seems to me as a possibility.  Also I believe diet plays a roll, you need to mix it up.  Please you could already being doing this but veggies are HUGE.  Then there is stuff like snello - look it up if you don't already use it, that is a deep dive down the tunnel of joys to pampering your snail.  Now again these are just some ideas, I hope I may have helped a little.

Tedrock

• Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 7:27 PM, Tedrock said:

Hi Dino,

While I am no snail expert,  I have had many snails.  Snails can rest sure, a day, two, three even.  If you see immobility for a week check the tank hardness.  You may have done this but GH and KH do make a difference in overall activity.  KH controls acidity which besides affecting the shell, I think may also affect the skin/body.  I have not read that any where or heard it any place, it just just seems to me as a possibility.  Also I believe diet plays a roll, you need to mix it up.  Please you could already being doing this but veggies are HUGE.  Then there is stuff like snello - look it up if you don't already use it, that is a deep dive down the tunnel of joys to pampering your snail.  Now again these are just some ideas, I hope I may have helped a little.

Tedrock

All of this is vital for them to remain active and healthy. I have many mystery snails. @sudofish I have experienced this many times in my sorority/fraternity grow out tanks. When my guppies hit juvenile stage and get overly friendly curious with the snails they become nocturnal then as the guppies grow and ignore the snails they start becoming active during the day again. 

Mystery snails can take long naps (up to several days) after they have eaten.  It's not unusual, but definitely made me very concerned the first few times mine did it.  Had a lot of "um... u ded?" moments.  Unfortunately, it does make it difficult to tell when they are actually dead sometimes.