Monoselenium tenerum

Marcy

It could be a tissue culture.  Which I would except for this. 
I found this, 

The Asian Monosolenium tenerum is an attractive liverwort, 2-5 cm high, which looks most like a giant Riccia that simply stays at the bottom, where it forms cushions. 

It is a brittle plant, and pieces break off easily, so it is best to place it in the aquarium attached to stones with fishing line or in small clumps among other plants such as Eleocharis. 

Once Monosolenium has established itself, it is very undemanding. This plant is mistakenly known as Pellia.  

not sure it will help, but I would still try.  If it is a tissue culture, I have gotten some that were course chop or fine. 

• Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 5:16 PM, Brandon p said:

It could be a tissue culture.  Which I would except for this. 
I found this, 

The Asian Monosolenium tenerum is an attractive liverwort, 2-5 cm high, which looks most like a giant Riccia that simply stays at the bottom, where it forms cushions. 

It is a brittle plant, and pieces break off easily, so it is best to place it in the aquarium attached to stones with fishing line or in small clumps among other plants such as Eleocharis. 

Once Monosolenium has established itself, it is very undemanding. This plant is mistakenly known as Pellia.  

not sure it will help, but I would still try.  If it is a tissue culture, I have gotten some that were course chop or fine. 

On 9/14/2021 at 4:45 PM, Tihshho said:

Looks right per the shape, the color looks like its been either cooking during shipping or wasn't maintained. Did you get them from a LFS or an online vendor?

I bought it at my LFS. Who literally got it in like the day before. It hasn’t been hot here. But it has been chilly. I’ll get a pic of pieces and post. 

• Like 1

Might not be a local issue, but more so where they were sourced. The LFS could have ordered them from a distributor and the distributor could have gotten them from somewhere else. Packages sit in hot warehouses as well as on the tarmac at airports. So many variables outside of control that are unknown. 

Best bet is to get it in a tank and watch, or setup a small tank (like a 2.5) and put a splash of water, some light and just see if it will grow emersed. If it takes off, you're set.

• Sad 1

On 9/14/2021 at 8:27 PM, Marcy said:

Good thing I just emptied out a 5 gallon huh? Filter? Sponge filter good enough?

IMO you don't even need to fill the tank. If you have a glass lid, just put a splash of water in there to keep up the humidity and place the fronds in there with a little bit of diluted ferts and close the lid to prevent them from drying out. The lid needs to be able to hold in the moisture, so it needs to either be complete, be a solid piece of glass or you're going to have to use cling film to seal the tank instead. Get a light over it and let it go. Over a few weeks this should start to bounce back. Running the tank with a filter, though nice to keep up with the water quality, isn't necessary and depending on the flow could hinder growth. The emersed process should allow you to see growth faster. 

• Like 2

On 9/15/2021 at 6:03 AM, Marcy said:

The spare tank I have is a marineland portrait. Won’t the water become stagnant?

Technically, yes. But you're not putting live stock in the tank, just flora. The process I'm describing is for emersed growth (out of the water) and the level of water in there will be minimal. Just needs enough water for the plant to be damp and stay damp, not even to the level of covering the plant.

• Like 2

Thank you!! I’m going to head over to the fish store today and see what they have. A friend of mine picked this up for me so I have no idea what happened between then and when it got to me. It wasn’t expensive, so if I have to trash it, it’s no big. 

I also have some hair grass that I have no idea what I’m going to do with. 

On 9/15/2021 at 1:28 PM, Marcy said:

Thank you!! I’m going to head over to the fish store today and see what they have. A friend of mine picked this up for me so I have no idea what happened between then and when it got to me. It wasn’t expensive, so if I have to trash it, it’s no big. 

I also have some hair grass that I have no idea what I’m going to do with. 

Not a problem, good luck if you try it!

If someone else picked it up they could have left it in a hot car. Again, back to the unknowns.