20 gal long tank fish stocking

-blake-

On 9/6/2021 at 4:28 PM, -blake- said:

would i be able to keep a honey gourami with 5 lemon tetras and 5 black phantom tetras in my 20 gal long lightly planted tank?

there is 1 anubias nana and some java moss in the tank and we're planning to get floating frogbit.

would that be overstocking?

🐠

Go for it! Just watch out for fun nipping with these. Honey Gourami are typically peaceful. The tetras can sometimes be mean. Safer tetras would be Bloodfin Tetras. Here’s an older video of my son’s 20 gal. tall with 2x honey Gourami, bristlenose Pleco, and a bunch of bloodfins…

• Like 2

If it were me I would pick only one of those two species of Tetras. The bigger bodied Tetras as Fish Folk mentioned can be a little boisterous as they have their pecking order in their schools. I've not had much issues in the past with Lemon's being as bad as Red Phantoms, but YMMV.

On 9/6/2021 at 3:28 PM, -blake- said:

would i be able to keep a honey gourami with 5 lemon tetras and 5 black phantom tetras in my 20 gal long lightly planted tank?

there is 1 anubias nana and some java moss in the tank and we're planning to get floating frogbit.

would that be overstocking?

🐠

That would likely be OK as long as you add the fish gradually after the tank is fully cycled.  You might want to plant a little heavier, though, to break up sight lines with black phantoms in the tank.  They can sometimes be a bit stinky to each other.

You might even consider picking just one type of tetra and doing a bigger group of them.  It spreads out any aggression that might happen in the group.  I’ve never heard of lemon tetras ever having aggression issues, but I haven’t kept them myself since forever ago.  I’ve never kept black phantoms specifically, but I have kept closely related tetras, and I have also read they can sometimes be stinkers within the species.

• Like 1