Water Hardness and Well Water

kjfhg

I have two 20 gal planted tanks with Platies, Corys and Ember Tetras. We have well water that is very hard and we have a water softener system to reduce the hardness for household use. The GH in the house tap water is 0-25 ppm. I am fairly new to aquariums (about 6 months) and my tanks seem healthy. I use Easy Green fert for the plants. I have thought that a higher GH was better for livebearers so I have been getting water from a faucet outside the house that does not go through the softener system. I have also been using Wonder Shells. The GH in my tanks is 300 ppm.

Ph from the tap is about 7.0. Ph in the tanks is 7.2 to 7.4.

I would like to use tap water from inside the house for my water changes as opposed to hauling heavy water jugs. Can I use the tap water with the lower GH? Do I need to add anything to the tap water to increase the hardness.

I asked at my local fish store and was told that it would be better to use the house tap water than the harder water. Is this correct?

Advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

I am in the same situation as you. I tried slowly introducing my guppies snail and shrimp to half and half remineralized matching parameters they did not do well but it could be I was just poor at doing it. I bought a long lightweight collapsible hose and run it from outside faucet through the house when I need it. I just replaced my old one this is what I got because I just can’t carry that many buckets anymore. Edit others like this are available up to 200ft if you need more they can be connected

4E97329C-EC83-4289-9B7E-0F8B58BD2D26.png

image.jpg

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

A water softener is really just exchanging one type of ion, calcium, for another one, sodium. which technically 'softens' the water, but does not change the TDS.  the difference is it adds sodium.  The Platys would probably be just fine, but the Corys and the tetras, I don't know.  it depends on how much sodium is actually mixing into the water.  There is usually some sort of bypass near the water softener itself.  Also, check the plumbing lines, sometimes the main kitchen sink is already bypassed because its the main source of drinking water.  I read somewhere that drinking softened water is like 1% of a persons sodium intake, so some newer construction stuff might bypass that.  You could also test the salinity with a refractometer (15-20$ on amazon) and see how much is actually in the water.  Other than that... the hose idea is great, or RO.  

• Like 1