Gravel Vacuum for multiple tanks

Jackk

Hi, I was wondering if I should be cautious about using a gravel vac with multiple tanks. My main concern is whether it can transfer disease/planaria to other tanks. I just set up a 10 gallon tank and it doesn’t have planaria and I’m trying to maintain that. My 29 gallon does have planaria. Although they’re not a huge problem, I’m trying to build a shrimp colony so I’m trying to avoid competition with them. I also would like to avoid spreading disease if that’s a vector of transmission between tanks. 

Thank you!

On 8/24/2021 at 7:54 PM, lefty o said:

pretty much anything used from tank to tank can transfer parasites. you can disinfect between uses, or let it dry out thoroughly, etc. simple siphon gravel vacs are pretty cheap, so it cant hurt to have a couple.

I think I’ll just grab an extra siphon just in case. They’re pretty cheap too. Having owned my 29 gallon for a year now it’s amazing how many things come from plants and other items that can get into the tank. 

On 8/24/2021 at 10:40 PM, Jackk said:

Hi, I was wondering if I should be cautious about using a gravel vac with multiple tanks. My main concern is whether it can transfer disease/planaria to other tanks. I just set up a 10 gallon tank and it doesn’t have planaria and I’m trying to maintain that. My 29 gallon does have planaria. Although they’re not a huge problem, I’m trying to build a shrimp colony so I’m trying to avoid competition with them. I also would like to avoid spreading disease if that’s a vector of transmission between tanks. 

Thank you!

I will generally do problem tanks last like if there’s an algae problem I wanna make sure to not spread or a quarantine take, so maybe you do your tank that your concerned with first. But through rinsing or multiple hoses is probably best.

• Like 2

I have one long hose that I have a quick connect attachment to, and two of the siphon ends that I switch out. I use one for doing my quarantine tank, and one for everything else. I do all my "regular" tanks first, and then do the quarantine tank. All of my tanks except one have snails so I am not worried about anything like that transferring between tanks, and all the fish in those tanks have been in my tanks for a while, so no diseases being spread. 

• Like 2