Kid friendly fish room?

Atitagain

Any advice on some ways I can make fish room more kid friendly? I have 3 grandchildren and when I have them all in there it’s a little crazy, and by a little I mean a lot 😜. My electric cords and hoses are already tucked really well. How could I install some sort or latch on the lower lids? Having them help feed is such a mess. Of coarse they love tapping on the glass and by tapping I mean banging. It sucks trying to take them in 1 at a time because the others really really need to be in there.lol

look into silicone gluing cabinet child safety latches. I was always strict with my niece and nephew. They were only allowed in with their hands in their pockets. I explained how delicate everything was and that they would not be allowed in if they touched things and didn’t follow the rules and respect the fish. I related it to a big scary monster comming in their bedroom and poking them how would they feel ( I loved the old Grimm fairy tales to frighten children into behaving 🤫) I adore my nephew and niece and spoil them rotten to this day so don’t judge 🤣. They were allowed to help feed one at a time given specific instructions.  They did very well. So I guess what I am saying is I used a lot of education and how would you feel and if you do this that bad thing will happen. My niece is now up to 2 tanks at 19 years old 😁

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

I have 4 kids and one on the way,  and they have an army of 10 or 15 cousins that comes over regularly. I find that my 4 year old and those around that age and up can understand not to bang on the glass or stick her hand in the tank without permission once you explain it to them. My 18 month old does not. It is a constant battle with him not to get into the tanks. And I don't have a dedicated fish room, so my tanks are in the living room (currently 3). He really enjoys the duckweed and frogbit, and since he sees me pulling it out, he does the same. We are set up so that we have no major safety concerns, just mess and fish stress.

Feeding is another issue. I let them help, but after a few major overfeeding events, I now place a fair amount of food in their hand to prevent that.

• Like 1

@Guppysnailreally like the how would you feel direction their so young but I think it might make sense except to the 1year old but maybe his brother and sister will help when they see it that way.

@Tankseekeri do only give them limited time in there but I want them to learn and maybe one day have a love for the hobby 

@ChemBobthese guys are 3,2, and 1 and very rambunctious we’ve only had them almost 2weeks now. I’m fortunate I can shut a door but I usually just have a baby gate. And I know the feeling of 4 kids that’s what I raised now the 3 grandkids I’m just glad I have a lot of experience 

thank you all I think the biggest thing will be patience and awareness 😳

• Like 4

I have a 4.5 and a 2 year old.  3rd is on the way.     That is a significant reason why I don't have more than one tank. 

I have it up on a counter, maybe 36" off the ground.  They can see, but they can't reach the top. 

It sounds like you have some that are low.  Maybe build a lockable cabinet around it. 

On 8/21/2021 at 10:55 PM, Gideyon said:

It sounds like you have some that are low.  Maybe build a lockable cabinet around it. 

Yes this could be an option everything is on wood stands so it would be simple to install some doors I can close on the lower tanks while their in there 🤔

Although it might not work for you I have always avoided relatives kids doing that by being a cheapskate in the beginning and buying a nice solid wood dresser for half the price of a stand. Kids can't mess with the tank because the dresser is already 31/2-4 feet tall so with the tank on top of that they can barely see it let alone touch it. 

Maybe a really crazy idea...but given their ages, rather than take them all into the fish room where everyone (including Grandparents) are cramped together,  set up a cheap webcam and let the crew watch everything remotely on a TV or computer screen?  Having the family fish be "TV stars" is something that kids might really find intriguing.   Edit- A lot of adults certainly enjoy "the Murphy cam".

Edited by NanoNano
  • Like 2