Tops/Lids for Fish Tanks

MD Guppies

Go to a glass shop and have them cut a glass top for the tanks in question. It's a whole lot cheaper than  you think, and they can drill holes/cut outs in it if you request it. Also, you can buy glass and cut it yourself. It's pretty easy. If you don't wanna go down the glass route there's always plexiglass or lexan.

Edited by Expectorating_Aubergine
  • Like 1

As I mentioned in another thread, you can get terrarium lids (for reptiles, spiders, etc) for most aquarium sizes.   They are sturdy, have a mesh lid (you could cut out spots for tubing with wire cutters or snips), and are pretty inexpensive.  
We also have had our local hardware store cut us a plexiglass lid for a smaller tank, and it was super cheap.  It does bow a little however, not a tight fit.

I recently bought twinwall greenhouse panels for $38 something from a big box home improvement store.  It was 2’ x 8’.  It cut easily with a table saw, but I’d bet you could cut it with a skill saw.  You might even be able to score it and snap it?  I made tops for 4, 5G tanks and 1, 2.1 G tank and still have 6’ left.  It’s definitely rigid enough for larger tanks.

I bought plastic knobs from Amazon to glue on but somebody recently posted a video of a guy that used this same twinwall sheets and he used clear Command hooks as handles.  The sheeting is super light weight and I wish I knew about the Command hooks before I ordered my plastic drawer pulls.

I did also buy metal tape to cover the open ends of the sheets to minimize any algae or mineral encroachment inside the layers of the twinwall.  It’s the same tape used to exclude condensation when the panels are used in greenhouses.

Pics of a top on a 5 and on the 2.1.  Ignore the water spots on the 5 lid.  😆 

6BDFEFD8-3049-4D34-A727-92F8FC4C46EA.jpeg

CFE7CBE4-1D61-4EC9-B6EE-C6B13A13DF50.jpeg

• Like 1