I have a 36g bowfront aquarium equipped w/ CO2 and and a 30in Finnex Planted+ ALC light.

20210818_171312.jpg.3560ff6d474d9a309cb320703ea02e5c.jpg

I just need some advice on whether my problems are related to lighting. I'm getting fast growth but my plants are not growing bushy but rather spindly. I am hesitant to put more plants in because I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

20210818_171201.jpg.407156853846d0b6dff021a70daccb00.jpg

As you can see the long spindly plant behind the Ludwigia is supposed to be Elodea and it barely has leaves. Even the Ludwigia is sparse just a bit.20210818_171341.jpg.8cb56668c545f569dc6dd4090e2118e1.jpg

Cabomba is growing long and spindly too.

I even have monte carlo and dwarf hair grass, unpictured, that is growing, but slower than I feel it should.

Basically in everyone's best estimate, do you think its a lighting issue? I understand this is a tall tank and strong lighting is necessary. Also if you agree its lighting do you think the Fluval plant 3.0 would give me the par needed in this tall tank?

On 8/19/2021 at 10:20 AM, Tankseeker said:

Is it a new set up? If you bought plants that where grown emersed they will die off before growing leaves to adapt to growing submerged 

No. I am certain I have very few if any stems from my original set. Almost all have been propogated from new growth in that tank.

Haha, my wife and I were just talking about this over breakfast, but in relation to some houseplants. 
I think you’re on the right track and it sounds like you know what the problem is. You have a tall tank and medium lighting. It might be hard to achieve the nice compact growth you’re looking for, but a Fluval 3.0 will help. I might even clip and plant some of those leggy stems so the new growth with the Fluval is more compact. 

On 8/19/2021 at 11:10 AM, Patrick_G said:

Haha, my wife and I were just talking about this over breakfast, but in relation to some houseplants. 
I think you’re on the right track and it sounds like you know what the problem is. You have a tall tank and medium lighting. It might be hard to achieve the nice compact growth you’re looking for, but a Fluval 3.0 will help. I might even clip and plant some of those leggy stems so the new growth with the Fluval is more compact. 

Do you think adding a second finnex will be enough to get the intensity needed? Or just replace current light w/ Fluval 3.0?

• Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 8:46 AM, SheWhoConquers said:

Do you think adding a second finnex will be enough to get the intensity needed? Or just replace current light w/ Fluval 3.0?

I was in the same situation with my budget light on my 75 gal. I decided to get a second budget light because I found some data that indicated the par was double in the area where the two lights overlapped. 

I have a 55 gallon and a Finnex ALC 24/7  i had to buy 2  48 inch i have one on each side on glass lid section and i had to adjust the intensity on both …i like Finnex  lights better then Fluval but that is my preference