New build

Rudles

Hi @Rudles, guessing you mean how to separate one from the other. You mentioned using sand so it might be harder to separate from whatever you plan to use to show as the stream than what I did in 2 of my tanks (well technically 3 as I did a similar thing in a African Dwarf Frog tank I did for my mum). For one tank, I just mapped out my "stream" with a very thin layer of crushed coral then built my planting substrate up on either side, then in my case I used firepit glass (because it's the same glass one gets at craft and aquarium stores but you get a lot more for a WHOLE lot less) for my streams and filled in the space. I accented with river pebble. I didn't find it hard to do without a wall or border, especially since everything was wet, it stayed in place pretty well. Some people have used plastic strips similar to that you'd use in a garden to separate beds but of course you'd have to make sure it's safe to use. Hopefully this helps. 

Resized_20210808_120827(1).jpg

Resized_20210810_093855.jpg

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
1 more thing.
  • Like 1

On 8/9/2021 at 9:39 PM, Rudles said:

I'm starting to build a new 20 high. I want to give it the look of a stream bed running through it. Looking for suggestions on what to use to delineate the gravel in the stream bed from the sand on either side. 

I would personally just do a sand base, then large round Mexican beach stones in back, smaller rounded landscaping stones in front. I’d use a powerhead to force water along the front. I’d probably also add a piece of wood along the channel. Valisneria and bronze crypt could grow along back.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2021 at 9:49 AM, Fish Folk said:

I would personally just do a sand base, then large round Mexican beach stones in back, smaller rounded landscaping stones in front. I’d use a powerhead to force water along the front. I’d probably also add a piece of wood along the channel. Valisneria and bronze crypt could grow along back.

I second @Fish Folk here. For a natural stream bed look you want to go from high to low in the perspective and use the 1/3 rule to place it off-center. Putting it in the center of the tank can really mess with people's perspective and make it appear unnatural or weird. If you want to use your tank's height to your advantage I would suggest using expanding insulation foam to build a taller feature. While the foam is still tacky press it into the shape you want it and you can also press some river pebble into the foam as well. Once it's dried you just have to cut away at it with a hobby knife and/or a sodder pen to make it look more rock like. Then using dyed masonry sealant such as drylok paint the foam. I like to use a brown or black as a base, then poorly mix the dye on the second coat so that it brushes on with different shades to make it look more natural. 

Again I would make the back rocks look bigger and probably build up the banks with pebbles as well, using pea gravel as the stream bed. Adding in stray pieces of wood to the stream will make it look more natural and then you can add some moss to these features as well.

Edited by Biotope Biologist
  • Like 1