Storing used sponge filter

Sweetpickles

I put a sponge filter with the stand onto my hob since i didnt have a prefilter sponge when i set up my 36 gal. I just got a prefilter sponge, took the old one out and put it in a ziplock bag 2 days ago. I want to get a quarentine tank set up tmrw bc we want to add furcata rainbows soon. Can I use that original sponge filter? 

Also before I switched out sponges I noticed i have seed shrimp in my tank. 

And another tank...the 20 gal just got the sponge (sm) removed today for a hob due to lack of clarity (still a md sponge in tank). So i have 2 sponge filters not in use but with good bacteria. How do you store these for future use? They are both still good.

Thank you for your input!

Sweetpickles;

If you put a sponge filter or a pre-filter in a zip-lock bag, the Nitrifying bacteria in the sponge will not die off if you also fill the bag one-third full with aquarium water. The Nitrifying bacteria in our filters do not need a whole lot of oxygen, they're microscopic.

If you do this with a cycled sponge or pre-filter, even as an experiment, look at it about once a week and you'll start to see brown masses all over the sponge, that's an overpopulation of the Nitrifying bacteria, and it's not a bad thing, but it can be unsightly.  

If you have an HOB filter, you can buy a filter brush that is basically a bottle brush with a long handle. You can run that brush back and forth up through the siphon tube, pull the brush out and you'll see a lot of brown masses on the brush, rinse the siphon tube out, and you'll see a whole lot more. 

If you allow a sponge or pre-filter to dry out, don't panic. When the Nitrifying bacteria died off, it left behind spores of itself that are reactivated just as soon as the spores hit water.

Sincerely

Gator