Fluval CO2 kit

If you plan on using CO2 long term, I would personally bite the bullet and spend the couple hundred dollars on a good regulator and gauge kit. The fluval kit works fine, but there is no need adjustment for this system so I found it very difficult to adjust my bps down to where I needed in a couple of my smaller planted tanks.

A decent kit can be a bit spendy but I promise it's worth it. I've tried a few cheap ones that either don't keep a steady bubble rate or a gauge will break and dump a full tank of CO2 in 5 minutes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I tried four of them, but I should have tried one. It was interesting to play with C02, but it is so hard to get precise control with a single-stage regulator.

I would only get a dual-stage regulator with a solenoid that you can control with an outlet timer, or via pH and timer with an Apex system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought one and returned it. Opted for a CO2 generator set up on amazon. A little bit of an investment ($80 for the kit, which came with the tank, solenoid, regulator, bubble counter, and funnel), but then to make the CO2 you do a ratio of citric acid and baking soda. Far more worth it than the little kit, those tiny CO2 tanks cost a fortune.

• Thanks 1

Just to put it out there: I have a 20 gallon that I have a Fluval Co2 on and it works fabulously. I have it set to 1 bubble every 2 seconds and my pogostemon stellatus octopus loves it. I have to change the Co2 about every month and a half. I did by solenoid to add, so it turns off when the lights go out.

I may have just gotten lucky! And it works great for me.

• Like 3

On 8/6/2021 at 2:42 PM, Gestaltgal said:

Just to put it out there: I have a 20 gallon that I have a Fluval Co2 on and it works fabulously. I have it set to 1 bubble every 2 seconds and my pogostemon stellatus octopus loves it. I have to change the Co2 about every month and a half. I did by solenoid to add, so it turns off when the lights go out.

@Ron Uni I must clarify that I was supplying to a 10 gallon tank when I tried the fluval kit. I needed to get it down to around 1 bubble every 3 seconds and it was just so difficult to get it there and keep it there. If you need more flow, I would say it is very attainable with the fluval kit.

• Thanks 1

My tests were with two on a 20 gallon, and umm… one each on a pair of 2.5 gallon tanks.

I could get them just barely dialed in for the slowest flow, but only if I wanted to run 24/7. If I turned them off and then on again, I had to re-tune. I could have made them work with solenoids, but that just led me to back to looking at dual-stage regulators with cool and quiet solenoids.

• Thanks 1

On 8/6/2021 at 3:42 PM, Gestaltgal said:

Pogestamon stelatus octopus will grow like crazy regardless of what you do or do not do.Ive been in the hobby for 53 years and can definitively say its the fastest growing easiest to propagate plant I've ever come across. It's been my first suggestion as a plant to anyone looking into having a planted tank. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/8/2021 at 11:56 PM, Dirtydave said:

Pogestamon stelatus octopus will grow like crazy regardless of what you do or do not do.Ive been in the hobby for 53 years and can definitively say its the fastest growing easiest to propagate plant I've ever come across. It's been my first suggestion as a plant to anyone looking into having a planted tank. 

Interesting! I couldn't get it to grow until the Co2 went in. The dwarf hairgrass also did better after the Co2. Because my water is pressurized, it off-gasses quite a bit when coming out of the tap (enough to drop more than 1 whole pH!), so I wonder if that's what does it!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2021 at 8:53 PM, Gestaltgal said:

Interesting! I couldn't get it to grow until the Co2 went in. The dwarf hairgrass also did better after the Co2. Because my water is pressurized, it off-gasses quite a bit when coming out of the tap (enough to drop more than 1 whole pH!), so I wonder if that's what does it!

Wish I had the answer but I don't I'm a low yeck guy,but the PSO grows like mad.Does the same for friends I give it to.