Substrate on amazon

Taco Playz

If you go with organic soil, I would recommend 1-1.5 inches, with a modest cap of 2-4 mm gravel. You could try about a 0.5 inch cap, and add a little more if necessary. If you go this route, get the book. I am still dialing in my preferred cap depth, since I have tried several layer and depth configurations. I am moving away from using sand as a layer in my caps.

My gravel is a mix of Peace River and Rio Grande, sifted to mostly use pieces in my size profile.

• Like 4

Ooooh yes sparkiling goruami is a nice fish for a  3 gallon, nice suggestion @Patrick_G. Its one of those fish that I super badly want but dont have space for. a nice neocaridina shrimp colony would also be a nice addition.

Here are my favorite substrates:

1) Seachem Flourite: https://www.amazon.com/Flourite-Black-Sand-15-4-lbs/dp/B0018CLX3C/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3K1K57VGRX901&dchild=1&keywords=flourite+black+sand&qid=1628198548&sprefix=flourite+black%2Caps%2C290&sr=8-1

2) CaribSea Peace River https://www.amazon.com/Carib-Sea-ACS00832-Aquarium-20-Pound/dp/B0002APMU6/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=caribsea+substrate&qid=1628198611&sr=8-8

I like the carib sea substrate for capping dirted tanks, and I love the natural look to it. However the flourite is my favorite substrate for the tradintional planted tank. I often dont have to use root tabs with this substrate and plants like crypts grow wonderfully! 

In my dirted tank, I have 1.5" of soil, and about 1" of substrate to cap the soil. I have seen very amazing growth from my saggiteria from doing this. 

Edited by James Black
  • Like 3