Substrate on amazon

Taco Playz

It is true that you can use potting soil as substrate, and it's great for growing plants. When I had a tank with potting soil, I used a top layer of pebbles/gravel above the soil to help keep the water clear. If you look up Walstad methods or natural planted tanks, you will find lots of info on this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/5/2021 at 9:32 AM, Taco Playz said:

I heard from someone that you could use Organic potting soil. Is that true??

Absolutely! My 5.5 gallon is Miracle-Gro "Nature's Care Organic and Natural Potting Mix with Water Conserve" just from the shelves of a Home Depot. My plants love the stuff. I've capped it with an aquasoil (Fluval Stratum) but I've heard that capping it with sand works as well. 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 10:17 AM, Taco Playz said:

I honestly don’t know. I will definetly have some ghost shrimp. Any ideas on 3 gallon fish?

Right now I’m into Sparkling Gouramis. I have two females and a male in my three gallon. They do like to hide in the greenery but they also have tons of personality. They’ll come to the front for food and will eat from the tongs like a Betta. Before the Gouramis I just kept snails for a month or two. That was fun too. 
Before that I had two three gallons set up for Shrimp. They were under planted and over fed so sort of a disaster. 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 1:18 PM, Patrick_G said:

You’ll want the organic potting soil. 

Agreed with @Patrick_G  from what I've heard organic soil is usually used since manufacturers aren't able to add ammonia into their soil and still call it organic. As for gravel and soil I personally haven't tried that. However Fluval Stratum has been working great for me which has a diameter of about 2-4mm so I imagine if you went with gravel it would work well at least in terms of size. @Streetwise has a lot of experience with dirted tanks so he might have some better answers. 

Edited by FlyingFishKeeper
  • Like 2

If you want to use sand then I would advocate for using the diamond blasting sand that many forum members have used. Personally I'm not a fan of sand because it easily compacts and many plants don't do so well with it. I would go with the aquasoil as @Patrick_G and @Biotope Biologistadvocated, if you are not comfortable planting in straight soil, then you could always top it with some sand as @Patrick_G indicated.

If you want to go the Walstad route then @Streetwise in one of his recent posts had posted a link to his source for organic soil, and his results speak for themselves, and I would recommend his journals

In a 3 gallon for ghost shrimp I would use aquasoil and several pieces of driftwood with Phoenix and Christmas moss, a Staurogyne repens carpet, and maybe some Anubias, or Bucephalandras, and either two, or three Cryptocoryne, or Helanthium quadricostatus. Maybe a Java fern, or some Dwarf sagittaria.

Just be aware that a lot of aquasoils have ferts added so that when a tank is new they release quite a bit into the water column so at the beginning frequent water changes are a must with those. The one I use did not do that, and it differs in that it is more stable, and quite a bit pricier.

If budget is a concern you can also always go with gravel, maybe even add a layer of laterite underneath, worked for me like a charm for many years as well.

• Like 1