Decore from the Wild

Tuna Howard

I live in the North West and have access to a bunch of stuff I can collect but I can't get good information on how to make it safe. 

Alder cones, when do you collect them and how to treat. Oak leaves, do you gather in the fall when brown or collect green and let dry out? Manzanita branches, can you gather green or must it be dead? Do you need to peal the bark. Rocks, do you boil them?

Rocks while not usually porous enough for much to get in often have digits etc.  I just boil mine. Some can leach toxins or metals I know I read a thread on here of how to test. Possibly vinegar if it fizzes but I can’t quite remember. Alder cones when they fall and are open. Sun dry thoroughly. Oak leaves either when green sun dry yourself or when they are fallen. 
be sure to collect in non residential or used park areas forest is best due to pesticides being sprayed in more public areas. 

• Like 1

I’m in the Northwest and I’ve had success with sun dried driftwood and igneous beach cobbles. I just gave it a good scrub before I used it in the tank. We have beautiful Madrona trees. I’ve collected some windfall branches but I’m waiting for them to dry before I use them in a scape. 

Just a warning, depending on the rock, boiling/baking them can cause them to explode.

I usually just rinse and dry any rocks i find. If in were genuinely worried about rocks, i would put the rock in a bucket or tub with water and let it sit for a week or two and then test water parameters.