Keeping Red Cherry Shrimp with Amano Shrimp

Andrew Puhr

I just got a breeding group of Red Cherry Shrimp that I wanted to keep with my 4 Amano shrimp in the same tank? I would hope to breed them but I wasn't sure if the Amano would eat the babies or adult cherries. Am I better off keeping them separate or will they get along fine as long as I keep them well fed? Tank is full of Java Moss and I feed hikari crab cuisine and new life spectrum algaemax pellets

On 7/28/2021 at 9:33 AM, Griznatch said:

I have amanos and cherries in my 75 with no issues. I've never seen one attack any fry. They do however bulldoze through the smaller shrimp, and will grab whatever they can carry and run off with it...

So it seems like just feed more so everyone gets enough to eat?

I have Neocaridina and Amanos in my 75 and my 11 gal. They get along fine and the Neos breed. At one point I had Neos and Amanos in a three gal and it’s possible the Amanos ate a batch of shrimplets. It’s either that or 7-8 shrimplets died in one night. 

• Like 1

In a well established tank you don't actually need to feed the shrimp too much. The amanos are just greedy. 

I've noticed in my 75 they really go after veggies or algae wafers more than in my other tanks, and do less tank maintenance if I I feed them daily.   I went on vacation recently for a week and my tank was pretty much spotless when I came back 🙂

Edited by Griznatch
edit for spelling
  • Like 3

On 7/28/2021 at 8:07 AM, Griznatch said:

In a well established tank you don't actually need to feed the shrimp too much. The amanos are just greedy. 

I've noticed in my 75 they really go after veggies or algae wafers more than in my other tanks, and do less tank maintenance if I I feed them daily.   I went on vacation recently for a week and my tank as pretty much spotless when I came back 🙂

Good idea! 

I'll second, third, or whatever what others have said. I keep both cherries and Amanos in one of my 29g tanks. I see shrimplets frequently, especially when I stir things up doing maintenance. I've never seen the Amanos mess with cherries of any size.

• Like 1

I think this is probably a case where size does matter.  I've had Amanos that have matured out to about the same size or slightly larger than Neo shrimp and kept the two together without incident.  I've also had Amanos that matured out to absolute hulk-a-zoid monsters that were double or more the size of my Neos and I think the Neos got completely outcompeted for food and eventually became weak and slow enough to become midnight snacks.  I never saw a dead one or parts of them,  they simply got "disappeared".

Edited by NanoNano