Maggots as fish food??

Fish Folk

Maggots as fish Food??  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Would you feed maggots from the empty bottom of a trash can to your mid-sized aquarium fish?

• Yes
    • No

On 7/27/2021 at 9:45 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

You and your fancy imported maggots!  Us regular folks have to scrounge our garbage cans for them, like @Fish Folk.  Get them off the road kill.  Regular domestic maggots are good enough for me, Mr. Upper-Crust.  I don't need any of those hoity-toity, Euro-trash maggots.  Nope.  Not me.  😜

only the good stuff here!

• Haha 2

I vote yes for this reason.  Maggots pretty much only eat rotting/dead flesh or organic material.  Due to that in history maggots have been used to clean wounds by packing them into the wound and allowing them to remove the dead flesh which helped prevent infections.  With all that in mind, it was an effective treatment, do I'm pretty sure I would feed them to my fish, just never thought of it as a possibility!

oh, little tip for those that care to try feeding their fish maggots.  store them in whatever sealable container you have, and store them in your refridgerator. this slows down their metabolism, and they will keep for quite a long time, and wont turn into flies in your house.

Not to be nosey…yes clean maggots in a heartbeat. But it looks like coffeegrinds in your trash(they get in mine). Coffee is chemically treated in processing decaf even more so if it’s flavored its chemical additives. If that’s what they are eating I would worry for the chemical aspect being in direct high concentration.  Even if it was spoiled meat I would not hesitate maggots are designed to eat that stuff but chemicals frighten me. 

• Thanks 1