stem rot?

Any idea whats going on in the picture below.  The stem on my new scarlet temple disintegrated into a few strands of fiber, so I reburied it into the substrate and it happened again.  The other stems in the pack are still okay but the plants are still a bit sad.

PXL_20210724_181627107.jpg.7e6ce1c60b4fbb1832990255683c68aa.jpg

On 7/25/2021 at 11:49 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Looks like it. Could the gravel be putting too much pressure on the stem?

perhaps.  though this is the same stem that rotted twice and was planted twice.  maybe i just got unlucy twice?  or did it come diseased?  there was basically 0 roots when I got these too.  maybe some of them can't handle rooting and being in a new tank?

They came overnight, but its just the one stem that rotted, I have 2-3 others that are robust so far.  I assume that stem is just a dud.  the other two stems aren't rotting.  I may also just not have an ideal setup for this plant.  I'm adding co2 soonish...

Edited by CT_
clarify

On 7/25/2021 at 2:29 PM, CT_ said:

They came overnight, but its just the one stem that rotted, I have 2-3 others that are robust so far.  I assume that stem is just a dud.  the other two stems aren't rotting.  I may also just not have an ideal setup for this plant.  I'm adding co2 soonish...

CO²! Can't wait to see how you do.

I guess sometimes, you can't save them all. I lost all my Rotala Bonsai, oh well. On to the next plant.

• 2 weeks later...

CO2 has been on for about a week now.  They're growing but I've also noticed more stem segments melting, so I guess it's going to be a race between melting and new growth.   The tops are getting covered in I think a green hair algae too, I guess I'll have to wait for things to balance out.

I did find another thread from May with the same issue.  Cory said they should be spaced out about an inch or left floating to convert so I'll probably go in this weekend an move them around a bit. 

PXL_20210807_035431821.jpg.87851932b787b01f2a0befeebb529fef.jpg

• Like 2