Gravel cleaner and sand

Fresh

I've been debating on getting one as I've been getting by without one. I've had my fish for more than a month now and haven't seen much of a mess honestly, which is weird since I have just about 30 fish in a 27g so you'd think it would be a crap disaster but it hasn't been. I feel like because of the tank's footprint (square) plus the high filtration (11x) that's all being sucked up right away!

Just wondering if there's anyone with sand not using a gravel cleaner? I did use one in my past tanks with sand but this has been a different experience so far

When I had tanks I never touched the sand but I also do use heater cables to establish convection currents. Cories and other catfish also do a great job of stirring things up depending on the grain size. Sometimes I would use a python with a mesh screen to skim the surface of the sand for debris, but that was rare

• Like 1

I do have 2 Cory's, had 3 but 1 passed. With the last tank I do remember I would just stir up the crap and then catch it with the cleaner as it floats up but with this setup there's not even anything to pick up. I must be doing something right lol