Ich and Heaters

MaxM

I have a Betta fish that I think has Ich. I only have a 1 gallon tank I can use right now (until next week) to use as a quarantine tank. They recommend heating the water to 28-30 Celsius. The smallest heater I have is a 50W heater. That is clearly overkill. The question is whether I can use it or is it dangerous to use too strong a heater? I have Ich medication in that quarantine tank. Is it better to hold off for Sunday/Monday to add a heater?

First, I would like to ask if you are sure it is Ich. If it is something other than Ich, then it will change the treatment plan. Could you include some photos?

I would probably not risk it in a 1 gallon container. Using an oversized heater will make it go through more “on and off cycles”, essentially shortening its lifespan. There is a risk of the heater malfunctioning, in one case, it sticks on and voila your fish, or in another case, it just stops working. 

If there is no other way, I would suggest the same thing as @Colu. But you could always use a storage container like @Irene does from the Co-Op for QT tanks. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. I did not notice them until now. In the end I treated it without a heater for a day or two until I could provide a better situation. I treated it for close to a week, but the spot was still there. I have a feeling that it is somehow just a discoloration on the head that is not ich or another issue. Thanks.