Opinions please, thank you

55 gallon, half soil (rear half) capped with Safe T Sorb (from Tractor Supply, HAS TO BE CLEANED ALOT). Top Fin 55 gallon starter kit. (plus top fin 20 filter) Hood lights on a timer for 5hrs. I use Flourish on Monday and Leaf Zone on Friday. Just started the leaf zone because I think I have  potassium deficiency.

Any opinions, help or advice is welcome

20210716_121826.jpg

20210716_121821.jpg

20210716_121807.jpg

20210716_121802.jpg

• Like 1

@Mmiller2001 is correct the longer you wait, the more damage from lack of nutrients will occur. I don't like to put products down, besides the fact that it is forum policy that's why I said you would be better off with the Easy Green All In One. What you see on your Java fern, and on the Amazon sword are nutrient deficiencies, the damaged leaves will eventually die off, but new shoots, and so far undamaged roots and rhizomes will recover as long as they get what they need for regular growth which are nutrients, light, and CO2; you seem to have the last two well covered, and your tank looks very nice and clean, so I would emphatically endorse the Easy Green All In One and start dosing as soon as you can.

PS: Just reread your post and you might also want to increase your lighting period somewhat as 5 hours is a bit short, usually I run my lights from 8 - 10 hours, looking at your plant selection I would think that right around 8 hours might be closer to the sweet spot but of course you will have to gauge that for yourself by results and either decrease, or increase. Lighting is a process of finding the middle in between stunted plant growth, or damage with too little, or algae with too much.

I hope this makes sense to you and helps.

Edited by Jungle Fan
Lighting PS
  • Like 1

If you up the light you’ll need to up the ferts. I’d wait until you have your fertilizer ready before increasing. 10 hours is where I start with the light then go backwards. I often do a 2 hour siesta in the middle of the day to allow co2 build back up. It takes awhile for the roots to get down to the soil under your safe-t-sorb. You have to depend on the column ferts getting into the sorb to feed your plant or you’ll need to use some root tabs. 

• Like 1