Hi from a 16 year old in North Carolina.

devind0446

Hey y'all, my name is Devin. This is my Betta fish named Bruce and a picture of my planted tank with Bruce, 9 neon tetras, 4 nerite snails, and a slight algae problem😅. Im 16 years old. Any other teens on here? I started keeping fish when I was 14. Any one else start around my age? I'm also looking to meet some fish keepers from NC, let me know where my NC people are at.

Bruce image.jpg

Tank image.jpg

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, devind0446 said:

@Daniel @Carolina Guy Do you two mind if I ask what LFS you go to and if there are any other cool fish stuff that goes on around the triangle area? Thanks!

Sure, Devin.

I go to The Fish Room in Cary. It's not a huge shop, but they seem to have most of the things I need, and it's close by for me. I bought 2 Bolivian Rams there about a year ago, and they've done great, and I got some really nice, healthy Glowlight Tetras there before too. Although I've never been, I want to go to their store in Raleigh. From the best I can tell, it's larger than the one in Cary and has a bigger plant selection.

I also go to Pet Supermarket in Cary. Pet Supermarket is a chain pet store, but their fish and plant stock (which is fairly limited in scope) comes straight up from Florida. One of my interests is livebearers, and theirs are raised in hard water. I've gotten some good, healthy mollies there. I've also gotten some good plants in pots there (Cryptocorynes and Anubias) that have done well for me. Their fish/plant stock usually comes in on Wednesdays. 

I've also gone to Petco in Cary for their dollar per gallon sales. And there is a PetSmart in Cary too that I'll check out occasionally if I'm nearby.

Edited by Carolina Guy

Welcome Devin. I’m also in NC just outside of Wilmington. I got my first real aquarium when I was around 10 way back in the late 60’s. In this part of the state it’s slim pickin’s for tropical fish with one small LFS, and a couple of Petcos, and Pet Smarts. 

35 minutes ago, Carolina Guy said:

Sure, Devin.

I go to The Fish Room in Cary. It's not a huge shop, but they seem to have most of the things I need, and it's close by for me. I bought 2 Bolivian Rams there about a year ago, and they've done great, and I got some really nice, healthy Glowlight Tetras there before too. Although I've never been, I want to go to their store in Raleigh. From the best I can tell, it's larger than the one in Cary and has a bigger plant selection.

I also go to Pet Supermarket in Cary. Pet Supermarket is a chain pet store, but their fish and plant stock (which is fairly limited in scope) comes straight up from Florida. One of my interests is livebearers, and theirs are raised in hard water. I've gotten some good, healthy mollies there. I've also gotten some good plants in pots there (Cryptocorynes and Anubias) that have done well for me. Their fish/plant stock usually comes in on Wednesdays. 

I've also gone to Petco in Cary for their dollar per gallon sales. And there is a PetSmart in Cary too that I'll check out occasionally if I'm nearby.

I normally go to the Raleigh Fish Room. It's been an alright experience. I haven't had the best luck with their fish but it has definitely been improving. They just about everything I need but I do have to wait a while if there is a fish I want (even common fish) because they seem to be out of stock a lot. I also have a similar issue with plants from there so I have just started getting all my plants from the Co-Op. 

I checked out the Cary store once. It was definitely smaller but I think they honestly had a larger selection even though I saw TONS of sick fish in their sales tanks. They also kinda scammed out my grandma once who I got into fishkeeping and the employees told her that if she bought RO water it would fix all of her problems. Obviously that didn't work. So in the end I would totally recommend you check out the Raleigh store and if you go Mike is definitely my favorite employee!

5 hours ago, devind0446 said:

LOL😂 Thank you so much @Alison!

That was in the 90's before the internet was really a thing... and there wasn't youtube and forums this this. I was the very image of the well meaning fishkeeper thinking she is doing her best and literally doing everything wrong.

I may or may not have been gifted one of those bettas in a vase that were so popular back then as well.