Ich x

BettaBlake

Hello community, my name is Blake I'm new here. I have a question, I need to treat my betta for ich, I have purchased ICH X from aquarium co-op and I have it in my possession. The thing is, I only have one tank right now, I have another tank for a quarantine but it is not set up and I need to treat soon. What I need to know is if this will stain my tank for real or not. I have a glass tank with silicone sealing and clear tubing. I need to know if this will stain my tank so I can treat my main tank ASAP. If not, is there a way to quickly set up a quarantine tank that I'm not aware of?? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance to all who answer! 

it may lightly stain the silicone. having said that, if the fish has ich, and it is in the tank, you need to treat the tank for ich. if you pull the fish and treat the fish in another container, that tank will still have ich in it. my best advice is to treat the tank the fish is in currently.

• Like 4

Hi Blake, 

I have treated my 20 gallon (top fin) and a 5 gallon (aqueon, rimless) with Ich-X and unfortunately it does stain the silicon. But I have to agree don’t worry about the tank and make sure the fish get treated. 

I think the quality of silicon likely plays into the amount of staining that occurs, but after two months I can say the worst of it has started to fade. I probably noticed more it in on my clear tubing than the silicon. 

I think if you mix it in some tank water first to dilute it it will help prevent the worst of staining. By not allowing the concentrated solution to contact the silicon. I might also suggest filling the tank all the way up to allow for uniform staining, and you will not notice it as much. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 7/14/2021 at 7:44 AM, TioTeo said:

Hi Blake, 

I have treated my 20 gallon (top fin) and a 5 gallon (aqueon, rimless) with Ich-X and unfortunately it does stain the silicon. But I have to agree don’t worry about the tank and make sure the fish get treated. 

I think the quality of silicon likely plays into the amount of staining that occurs, but after two months I can say the worst of it has started to fade. I probably noticed more it in on my clear tubing than the silicon. 

I think if you mix it in some tank water first to dilute it it will help prevent the worst of staining. By not allowing the concentrated solution to contact the silicon. I might also suggest filling the tank all the way up to allow for uniform staining, and you will not notice it as much. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thank you so much for your reply, this is exactly what I was wanting to see. I understand the fish come first, but when you spent hundreds of dollars on your tank and decor, you definitely don't want to ruin it by staining. This makes me extremely nervous to treat my tank now, but my fish need to be healthy. I can't believe in all the years of fish keeping, and all the years that ich x has been out that they haven't figured out a way to stop the staining 🧐🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1

On 7/14/2021 at 7:31 AM, BettaBlake said:

I can't believe in all the years of fish keeping, and all the years that ich x has been out that they haven't figured out a way to stop the staining 🧐🤷‍♂️

Staining is in large part due to the malachite green as an active ingredient which is safer for fish which is why they have not taking it out. 

But I do think the pre-diluting and evenly distributing will help to limit the staining of the silicon. I can notice differences in the amount of staining in the silicon depending on the flow and where the Ich-X likely concentrated the most. If you mix it vertically as well and keep the water level to the top it will help it from condensing and being more noticeable at on level on the silicon. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/14/2021 at 9:38 AM, TioTeo said:

Staining is in large part due to the malachite green as an active ingredient which is safer for fish which is why they have not taking it out. 

But I do think the pre-diluting and evenly distributing will help to limit the staining of the silicon. I can notice differences in the amount of staining in the silicon depending on the flow and where the Ich-X likely concentrated the most. If you mix it vertically as well and keep the water level to the top it will help it from condensing and being more noticeable at on level on the silicon. 

Yeah that does make since, and I've heard of malachite green before watching Corys videos on ich x.  But to be honest, after looking at my betta just now, I don't think he has ich. I mean he had a few white spots on him, but they mostly have disappeared, and watching over the last couple of days they have not multiplied. I'm ordering the maracyn medicine today and I'm just going to preemptively treat my tank for ich and bacterial infections. None of my residents or plants were quarantined before putting them into the tank when I first set it up, I was a newbie and didn't even know that was a thing lol. Since I first started with a 10 gallon tank, I have that extra tank still so I'm going to use that and set up a quarantine tank. I'll probably just keep snails in it to keep a small bio load. Blue is my favorite color anyways so maybe I won't totally hate it 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

I just went through an Ich outbreak in my 55 gallon, and it did stain the silicon.  I didn't mind it that much, at least it was pretty blue, and as people have said, it should eventually go away.  I can deal with some vibrant blue silicon if it meant the fish were okay.

One thing to keep in mind, the way this nasty thing works, is right now it will likely still be in the tank even if the spots are gone.  My treatment followed Cory's instructions to the letter, and yes that include the 30% daily water changes which was a big pain with my tank being the size it is, but it had to be done to kill it properly.  Just keep treating it in tank, and make sure to keep doing so for a few days after it looks like it has cleared up.

The Ich X did work great, all my snails pulled through with no issues and the fish got past it.

• Thanks 1