Purple Cabomba pulcherrima Fanwort

Anyone have luck with this. I’m in love with it and can finally get it at my lfs. Half the things I read say if you can grow hornwort your tank will support it. Others say it’s delicate and temperamental. I’m only concerned it will fall apart. My one tank had hornwort for whatever reason it didn’t do well like it does in my other tanks and gave up the ghost really quick. What a mess I don’t want that again. 

F5EF2BB9-8FA3-4390-973B-BBF45A8E3B7B.png

Edited by Guppysnail

Like hornwort....its beautiful when its doing well...when its not is when well as you already know...It doesnt.  Right now I have some Hornwort in my 20 gallon kindo floating in the corner and its doing ok and a bit more floating in the pond.  That one is ehhh. Its holding on but I think at some point its going to commit suicide!

On 7/10/2021 at 8:54 AM, ARMYVET said:

Like hornwort....its beautiful when its doing well...when its not is when well as you already know...It doesnt.  Right now I have some Hornwort in my 20 gallon kindo floating in the corner and its doing ok and a bit more floating in the pond.  That one is ehhh. Its holding on but I think at some point its going to commit suicide!

Hornwort does amazing in all my tanks…but one that’s why I was hoping for this one to do well.  I just keep finding so much conflicting info I was hoping someone else had some experience with it. Extra poopy snails help 🤣

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update. I put the fanwort in my adult guppy tank. It looked amazing for 4 days with no melt or shedding. Day 5 I was out all day and came home to empty stems a bottom full of healthy loose leaves and a heard of guppies literally ripping it apart.  I’m not sure if they were eating it or something on it I qt my plants with paracleanse so not sure what could have been on it or if it simply amused them as so many bizarre things amuse my guppies. 🙁. I have one tiny twig healthy left I put in my fry tank out of 2 huge bunches with 6 stems each. 

Most of the time when Hornwort isn't doing well it's either because it's grown so quick and consumed all available nutrients and is now deficient because of lack of nutrients, or because it was planted in the gravel which will cause the part in the gravel to rot because it is a floating plant, not a stem plant that needs to be planted.

• Like 1