Pogostemon Octopus plant care

I have an established planted 20Gal tank with Java fern, Java moss, Anubia and  , Amazon sword. I have 8 neon tetras and some Nerite snails and shrimps living in this tank. I have used CaribSea Eco Complete as Substrate and i supplement this with few drops of Flourish Seachem when i do the weekly water change.  Few weeks back i  bought Pogostemon Octopus (this should survive with the existing Lighting i have) and planted them in the tank. Within few days it starting shedding the leaves and within 10-14 days the plant started disintegrating. I had planted 6 of these and none of them survived. 

I have a Finnex Stingray 2 Aquarium LED Light, Blue Fish Moonlights, 24", Silver for lighting. FLuval E series Heater(E100).

Any pointers on why the plants didnt survive?

Thanks

My Pogostemon Octopus just started growing and hasn’t stopped. I’m wondering it yours was sold to you in emersed (air grown) form. If that’s the case it might melt back at first but then grow back in it’s submerged form. I’ve bought quite a few plants that went through this process and unfortunately not all of them make it, but most do. 

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 1

I have 4 of them....2 I got from the coop and 2 locally. The ones locally came first and did crappy at first but they came back so Im guessing the emerseed form to submersed form melt happened.   The ones from @Cory and the Co-OP looked magnificent from day 1 and never melted at all.  They are growing like weeds and need to learn how to properly prune them.  

The co-op plants are very nice!!

• Like 3

On 7/9/2021 at 3:23 PM, ARMYVET said:

I have 4 of them....2 I got from the coop and 2 locally. The ones locally came first and did crappy at first but they came back so Im guessing the emerseed form to submersed form melt happened.   The ones from @Cory and the Co-OP looked magnificent from day 1 and never melted at all.  They are growing like weeds and need to learn how to properly prune them.  

Mine were also from the coop and didn’t melt. There were two 18” stems in one pot. I really got my money’s worth! 

• Like 1

Your bioload is relatively low and pogostemon stellata octopus likes a lot of nutrients as it is a fast grower. Seachem Flourish provides micronutrients but not macronutrients (Nitrogen, Potassium and Phosphorous). Do you know what your nitrate level is? 

• Like 2

On 7/9/2021 at 5:30 PM, Isaac M said:

Your bioload is relatively low and pogostemon stellata octopus likes a lot of nutrients as it is a fast grower. Seachem Flourish provides micronutrients but not macronutrients (Nitrogen, Potassium and Phosphorous). Do you know what your nitrate level is? 

I havent checked the Nitrate level in a while.Let me check the same and maybe provide the macronutrients as needed.

On 7/9/2021 at 3:23 PM, ARMYVET said:

Mine is from the coop . I guess i will add some  ore nutrients to the setup and give it couple of weeks more. Can you please share what nutrients you have added to your setup?

On 7/9/2021 at 1:35 PM, Patrick_G said:

My Pogostemon Octopus just started growing and hasn’t stopped. I’m wondering it yours was sold to you in emersed (air grown) form. If that’s the case it might melt back at first but then grow back in it’s submerged form. I’ve bought quite a few plants that went through this process and unfortunately not all of them make it, but most do. 

Will keep my fingers crossed . I see some recommendations to added nutrients if needed.

This co-op PSO is planted in a "pot" made out of the bottom part of a 16 oz coke bottle. There is about 1 and 1/2 inches of potting soil and 2 or 3 root tabs in the bottom, covered by gravel. The original leaves gradually fell away and were replaced be longer, thinner ones. Then it grew.

PXL_20210710_021835213.jpg

• Love 1

On 7/9/2021 at 6:02 PM, Isaac M said:

@prashant here is a link to an article covering nutrient deficiencies in plants:

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/plant-nutrient-deficiencies

Maybe you can look through it and figure which deficiency may have occurred by comparing your observations with the pictures/ descriptions in the article. 

I hope that helps!

Thanks for the link. Much appreciated.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 10:27 PM, HH Morant said:

This co-op PSO is planted in a "pot" made out of the bottom part of a 16 oz coke bottle. There is about 1 and 1/2 inches of potting soil and 2 or 3 root tabs in the bottom, covered by gravel. The original leaves gradually fell away and were replaced be longer, thinner ones. Then it grew.

PXL_20210710_021835213.jpg

WOW THATS IMPRESSIVE!!!