Pearl gourami

Etherbunny

Hello all, I just added a male pearl gourami to my 75 gal tank. Tank has a few female powder blue gouramis, some honey gouramis, and a smattering of tetras. This is my first pearl. He has been staying very close to the water surface, over in one corner for the past several days. He eats just fine, but just seems.....very shy or timid, which surprised me since I thought they were more assertive fish. Everyone else is happy and zooming around. All water parameters are normal and tank has been established for a long time. 

Is this normal "oh my goodness this huge tank is overwhelming and I am a single PG" behavior? Thinking of picking up a couple more so he feels more comfortable. Perhaps two females? Or would you suggest two more males? 

TIA for advice on my new guy

I think he's just settling in. I keep a single pearl gourami with praecox rainbows and an electric blue acara. He started out really shy but now he has laid claim to all the plants in the tank and chases off any rainbow that gets close.

• Like 1

I agree with above. I kind of wish I had gotten a female instead. Mine is so aggressive towards the rainbows. Of course he could never catch one they are too fast but it's still not very relaxing to watch thunderdome in the tank all the time.

On 7/8/2021 at 11:26 AM, sudofish said:

I agree with above. I kind of wish I had gotten a female instead. Mine is so aggressive towards the rainbows. Of course he could never catch one they are too fast but it's still not very relaxing to watch thunderdome in the tank all the time.

My female gets irritated at my congo tetras every once in a while and chases them around.  No damage ever occurs, so I'm not worried. I find it amusing since she is still smaller then the tetras but tries to boss them around anyway. Plus it's just the males that bother her, not the females lol.

• 3 weeks later...