Your favorite anubias

pinto is not bad - i have a few of those but i also like (name might be wrong) anubia barteri var. glabra  ; it looks a bit like crypt parva but has a rhizome as well as afzelii and for the colour nana golden is quite nice also. There are many many anubia out there and i'm sure there are others with interesting leaves i've yet to discover. I'm not a super big fan of anubia  coffeefolia - i have several of them and they get very very large over time...

I'm really liking the Anubias Barteri that the co-op sells.  I've started putting them in my corydora tanks, in open sandy areas, and the corydora like to hang out under the big leaves.  They don't scatter to the back 'jungle' when I approach, but stay out where I can see them and still feel safe.  They look like they are crammed under a beach umbrella.

I also like the Anubia golden, it adds a very nice contrast to other green plants.

Nana ‘Golden Coin’ is a very pretty, bright, lime green.  My favorite Anubias so far.  

‘Petite Pinto’ has been less impressive than I hoped for, but is finally looking better.  It’s a bit tricky to get exactly the right balance of light to give it the best color, and the nutrients in the water column at enough for growth, but not enough for algae.  It’s currently in a 6 gallon cube with nothing but snails and a single Amano for poop producers.  Plenty of plants with it.  It’s on a piece of petrified wood (so no nutrients from wood or substrate) and I wonder if that’s an issue (I do Simple Green and Iron at a bit higher than label).  

Anubias always does a bit better for me attached to driftwood.  I think it gets more nutrients and does better when it can start to sink it’s roots into wood or it’s roots can get down into a nice nutritious substrate.  I had one of the two plants I got in the tissue culture in a different tank on wood, but it’s a pea puffer tank that has too much poop and it got excess algae growing on it.  I finally removed it, hit it with peroxide and moved it to this tank with its friend.

Apparently a tiny bit of rhizome was stuck to the wood, though, because I have a new, tiny plant starting in that tank where I removed the bigger plant.  It has some algae.  🙄

For a big Anubias at the other size extreme, hastifolia is very cool looking.

Thanks for your input on the anubias I am buying a anubias pinto today and attaching to wood and dragon stone and see what it looks best on. Do you know if they do best with co2 injection as I don't have injection of it?

On 7/1/2021 at 12:50 AM, Johannes said:

Thanks for your input on the anubias I am buying a anubias pinto today and attaching to wood and dragon stone and see what it looks best on. Do you know if they do best with co2 injection as I don't have injection of it?

I don’t do CO2, but mine are doing reasonably well.  The ‘Pinto’ has more green and less variegation than I had hoped for, despite being pretty close to the light.  But I also don’t have fancy lights at all, just the Aqueon planted tank light.

B90D8C4B-FE36-4E81-A693-DFA0E577E0D1.jpeg