Denison Barbs scratching on sand, what could it be and what do I do?

Gannon

I've noticed that my Denison barbs have been somewhat lightly scratching themselves on the sand in my 125 gallon aquarium. Thjis started the day after I added them and is continuing a couple days later. They did not do any of this in quarantine and I pre-treated them for parasites in quarantine. I know this is a symptom of flukes, but that doesn't make much sense when I've already done all this. So what could it be and what should my. course of action look like with such a huge volume of water? Thanks for any help you can offer!

On 6/20/2021 at 6:36 PM, Colu said:

Flashing can be a siqn of parasties or poor water quality frist I would test your water for ammonia and nitirtes and do a 25%water change 

I already checked water quality. I use RODI so im pretty obsessive about that stuff. Parasites would be the obvious cause then, but im not so sure, I treated for them in quarantine and stuff already, just seems odd.

On 6/20/2021 at 7:36 PM, Colu said:

Flashing can be a siqn of parasties or poor water quality frist I would test your water for ammonia and nitirtes and do a 25%water change

I’ve never seen flashing in response to poor water quality, but it couldn’t hurt to check.

Fish commonly have a low level of parasites on them at all times, just given the nature of their aquatic habitat, but their immune system is able to keep the parasites in check. In a chronic stress situation (new environment), the immune system is weakened, allowing secondary invasions of parasites and bacteria.

On 6/20/2021 at 6:53 PM, tonyjuliano said:

I’ve never seen flashing in response to poor water quality, but it couldn’t hurt to check.

Fish commonly have a low level of parasites on them at all times, just given the nature of their aquatic habitat, but their immune system is able to keep the parasites in check. In a chronic stress situation (new environment), the immune system is weakened, allowing secondary invasions of parasites and bacteria.

So what do you recommend I do?

On 6/21/2021 at 12:53 AM, tonyjuliano said:

Fish can flash when there's high levels of ammonia irritating there gill

On 6/20/2021 at 8:13 PM, Gannon said:

Should I treat the whole tank? Prazipro maybe? Paracleanse? What med or treatment would you prefer, in quarantine or not

Since you cannot re-quarantine (which I prefer over any other strategy), and you don’t know the exact parasite or bacterial infection that is possibly involved, then your best option is what Aquarium Co-Op refers to as “med-trio”, a simultaneous dosing of Maracyn, Paracleanse & Ich-X (I believe this is the trio, someone correct me if I’m wrong).

Make sure you have several air stones going, and it wouldn’t hurt to add a bit of salt also.

I can’t stress enough, however, that if it were me, I would make every effort to get them back into a quarantine situation.

And again, this is all based on your assured ness that your water parameters are in check.

Edited by tonyjuliano

PraziPro is reasonable, safe, and easy to use. I personally wouldn't use the med trio on a 125, and I wouldn't put them back into quarantine when you just moved them out. Just my opinion...

I'd try a few rounds of PraziPro like @Mmiller2001 suggests. Are they flashing all the time? I admit I am an anxious person and can stop and watch my tanks for too many hours of the day, scrutinizing their behaviors for anything out of the ordinary. Through my searching it *looks* like a couple of odd flashes with no increased symptoms could be a whole lot of nothing, but if an entire group of fish or your entire tank starts to flash constantly, it's troublesome.

Regardless, I saw flashing in a few of my fish and chose to use PraziPro on my 29 gallon display with no ill effects. Fish and invertebrates are all fine.

• Like 1