Changing filtration

Alaine

I have a marineland like the picture. I would like to change to ziss filter and a medium or large sponge filter. I will be filtering a 55 gallon and this is my first planted tank. I just wanna make sure I’m buying the right filtration. This would put me one step closer to ordering my first bucket List fish Threadfin rainbow.

C75B5243-52FA-4809-865E-3CBB50E31F62.png

i think what is right, is mostly a matter of personal preference. i think if you put a ziss in one corner, and a sponge in another it would be fine. if you already have the hang on back running, when you install the others i would just leave the hang on back for a week or so, while the new filters get up to speed.

There is no 'right' answers - as long as you provide sufficient filtration. However two things - first I would have a specific reason you wish to change filtration such as (old one too much effort to maintain, too loud, not adequate, ...) and second when you do change them be sure to keep them both running for at least 3 weeks to allow adequate time for the new filter to grow beneficial bacteria. Remember new is not always better unless there is a specific problem with old. In my case - and just my personal preference - i run sponge filters in all my tanks from 5 gallon to 120 gallon though i do have a canister in addition to sponge on the 120.

I agree with Anewbie and Lefty O. We refer to cycling the tank, but it might be more appropriate to talk about cycling the filter. You need to leave the old filter in place for long enough for good bacteria to get established in the new ones. How long is that? I am not sure, but better to leave the old filter running for at least several weeks.

imo it might take at most a few days for a new filter set up in an established aquarium to establish a suitable colony of bacteria. bacteria multiplies rapidly, so i always wonder where people come up with "at least 3 weeks", or other prolonged periods of time.  even the week i suggested gives a considerable cushion. realisticly speaking, everything else in an established tank also has a bacteria colony growing on it, and likely just swapping filters out would do no harm. we do like to err on the side of caution though.