Acrylic tank

Sweetpickles

This tank must be 25 years old! Got it when we were first married. Hasnt been used in about 15yrs! We are doing leak test now. A few scratches not enough to make me want to work them out. By the measurements (35"Lx15"Dx16"H) 20210618_182709.jpg.d6f494177c6b974f0710d15ba6813763.jpg20210618_182528.jpg.e2f4736c9ee0ac8fb104e137c2e1ee1c.jpg20210618_182608.jpg.c90d5196eead833bf469792070fd6a3f.jpgmy son figured its about 36 gal. I dont remember that long ago. Doing some research on what type if light i can get and i dont remember if we had a cover. My mind is blank about old set up. We had it bc it was cool. Not bc of enjoyment of the hobby. Its much dif now! I am excited about the research and stocking it. If any have ideas or where to look for ideas on the light or poss lid i am 👀! Thanks!

• Like 2

I have a local plastics place that can cut acrylic and/or other plastics. You probably don't need much that's very complicated- maybe you have a place like that in your area. 

According to my tank volume calculator on my app it is about 36 gallons, I gave it 2" leeway from the top for water and didn't put substrate into the calulations. 

As to lighting I'll defer to the larger tank experts. 

tempFileForShare_20210618-2259471.jpg

• Like 2

On my 36”x15”x24” tank I have used a Finnex Stingray 36” for a couple years and it’s plenty bright. I just bought another one for a used acrylic 36”x15”x20” tank that I am working on. I made a simple lid for the new tank using a cut sheet of polycarbonate greenhouse panel.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 2:38 AM, SunBearQ said:

On my 36”x15”x24” tank I have used a Finnex Stingray 36” for a couple years and it’s plenty bright. I just bought another one for a used acrylic 36”x15”x20” tank that I am working on. I made a simple lid for the new tank using a cut sheet of polycarbonate greenhouse panel.

@SunBearQ Thanks! I was looking at that light but wondering how i would put it on the tank. There are no exposed rims. Maybe i could do a shorter one and try and attach it somehow to the edges of the opening? Are there legs on the light however that unfold i am missing? Would it sit right on the top of the tank? For the lid that seems like a great idea! I will look closer at that light! Thanks so much for the suggestions!

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 2:01 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I have a local plastics place that can cut acrylic and/or other plastics. You probably don't need much that's very complicated- maybe you have a place like that in your area. 

According to my tank volume calculator on my app it is about 36 gallons, I gave it 2" leeway from the top for water and didn't put substrate into the calulations. 

As to lighting I'll defer to the larger tank experts. 

tempFileForShare_20210618-2259471.jpg

@xXInkedPhoenixX thanks for the info! I will look in the area to see if we have a resource for that! Guess I dont need to doubt the 13yo here! He nailed the sz of the tank! Maybe mom needs that app🤣

Thanks again!

• Haha 1

That's an awesome looking tank, and great to see it's going to get a second life!  If you are looking to get some lids, I'd suggest just going to any big box home improvement store and getting sheets of lexan (i.e. polycarbonate) and cutting them yourself.  Polycarbonate is more expensive than acrylic, but acrylic has a tendency to warp as tops.  When I make mine, I just cut them using a dovetail saw and then sand it down.  But a good blade for plastic sheeting on a circ or table saw works well to.  Looking forward to seeing what you make of it! 

• Love 1

On 6/19/2021 at 8:28 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

That's an awesome looking tank, and great to see it's going to get a second life!  If you are looking to get some lids, I'd suggest just going to any big box home improvement store and getting sheets of lexan (i.e. polycarbonate) and cutting them yourself.  Polycarbonate is more expensive than acrylic, but acrylic has a tendency to warp as tops.  When I make mine, I just cut them using a dovetail saw and then sand it down.  But a good blade for plastic sheeting on a circ or table saw works well to.  Looking forward to seeing what you make of it! 

@OnlyGenusCaps thank you! We are really excited about it! Pulled out a cool piece of driftwood i have been hanging on to. Its going to be a slow process. One thing at a time. I want to have planting complete before adding fish. Need everything but the tank. I like your lid idea! I will look into ways to cover such a skinny long opening so its practical for a light and easy to remove for cleaning and feeding. I saw a youtube video a girl did with some chanel trim and glass panels one panel was stationary and the other slid to the side. Wonder if that would work with this material as well. Then to keep it in place when sliding it open. I certainly have time to figure it out.

Thanks again for the suggestion!

On 6/19/2021 at 8:00 PM, Sweetpickles said:

I will look into ways to cover such a skinny long opening so its practical for a light and easy to remove for cleaning and feeding. I saw a youtube video a girl did with some chanel trim and glass panels one panel was stationary and the other slid to the side. Wonder if that would work with this material as well. Then to keep it in place when sliding it open. I certainly have time to figure it out.

The slider section is a possibility for sure.  I don't have any experience with those sorts of tops to offer.  However,  @eatyourpeasis doing that with very thick arcylic tank they are building in this thread

Another possibility is that one really big tanks, where the opening and lids are also commensurately large, they tend to include a small lid with in a lid called a feeding port.  I think Cory has one on his 800 gallon - it's in a could videos somewhere, but I can't recall which ones specifically, sorry.

When I see that tank, all I see is incredible possibilities!

• Love 1

On 6/20/2021 at 9:11 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

The slider section is a possibility for sure.  I don't have any experience with those sorts of tops to offer.  However,  @eatyourpeasis doing that with very thick arcylic tank they are building in this thread

Another possibility is that one really big tanks, where the opening and lids are also commensurately large, they tend to include a small lid with in a lid called a feeding port.  I think Cory has one on his 800 gallon - it's in a could videos somewhere, but I can't recall which ones specifically, sorry.

When I see that tank, all I see is incredible possibilities!

@OnlyGenusCapsThat sounds neat! I will check that out! We are getting creative with supplies to expand the budget! Had a hob i didnt want to use. I like sponge filters. But i have it so i will use it. Substrate....i have potting soil, sand and gravel. May as well use it as well! My fish list is....dwarf cichlids, congo tetras, pencil fish(poss) golden wonder killifish,bottom feeder of sorts. Son wants a clown killifish🤷‍♀️. May try my cherry shimp. Just a list yet. Working on getting light and heater then plants.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2021 at 12:35 PM, Sweetpickles said:

@OnlyGenusCapsThat sounds neat! I will check that out! We are getting creative with supplies to expand the budget! Had a hob i didnt want to use. I like sponge filters. But i have it so i will use it. Substrate....i have potting soil, sand and gravel. May as well use it as well! My fish list is....dwarf cichlids, congo tetras, pencil fish(poss) golden wonder killifish,bottom feeder of sorts. Son wants a clown killifish🤷‍♀️. May try my cherry shimp. Just a list yet. Working on getting light and heater then plants.

@OnlyGenusCapsso far!20210620_123622.jpg.0467add8dc9ec7806175706c23136b5b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 6/20/2021 at 7:37 PM, Sweetpickles said:

Boy couldn't wait to get started

Oh, I feel that!

On 6/20/2021 at 7:37 PM, Sweetpickles said:

Trip to lowes and tank is filled! Very cloudy. Filter is running.....need light and heat still and the lid.

So what I am hearing is, it has begun.  That's fantastic!  I'm really looking forward to seeing how this all comes together.  I have a feeling it's going to be something good.  😃

• Love 1

On 6/20/2021 at 11:06 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Oh, I feel that!

So what I am hearing is, it has begun.  That's fantastic!  I'm really looking forward to seeing how this all comes together.  I have a feeling it's going to be something good.  😃

@OnlyGenusCaps I will post an update! This got him motivated to clean out 2yrs of cans in the garage!😳🤣🤣 thats our budget! Mom and dad can contribute more but its a good lesson for a 13yo.

More to come soon!

• Like 2

On 6/21/2021 at 9:07 AM, Georgiapeach88 said:

I love getting the kido’s involved. I started my tanks back in late April. And my 4 y mr old loves counting his snails 🐌 and fish so far. 

So fun!! We unschool/homeschool. We use this as a learning experience. Its been really great! The youtube videos from aquarium coop are also great learning tools! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/21/2021 at 11:01 AM, Sweetpickles said:

So fun!! We unschool/homeschool. We use this as a learning experience. Its been really great! The youtube videos from aquarium coop are also great learning tools! 

We just tested water and all parameters are A-Ok!! Yay!!! This is great because my other tank 20 gal had a nitrite spike .225ppm so we did a 50% water change and  took a handful of gravel from acrilyc and put it in 30 gal. Hope it works!! 

Excited to start adding fish!! 

• Like 1