Starting a 55g QT - sponge filter Q

Jeff

I have two large in my parents 55 gallon tank. Works well imo. 

Patrick (mobile won't let me tag) told me that you're filtering for the amount of fish you have. So depending on the bio load it would depend on whether or not you need one or two, I think??

(Please let me know if I am off base.)

Edited by CosmicAshhole
  • Like 2

Hi @Jeff, I agree with @CosmicAshhole, it all depends on the bioload. Given that this is just a quarantine tank (btw, very impressed that you are using a 55 gallon as a quarantine tank haha), I imagine the stocking will not be too heavy. A single large or even two medium sponge filters on each side for better flow should be good. I would only do two large if you will have a heavy bioload. 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 12:54 AM, Isaac M said:

Hi @Jeff, I agree with @CosmicAshhole, it all depends on the bioload. Given that this is just a quarantine tank (btw, very impressed that you are using a 55 gallon as a quarantine tank haha), I imagine the stocking will not be too heavy. A single large or even two medium sponge filters on each side for better flow should be good. I would only do two large if you will have a heavy bioload. 

It's for my 90g tank I'm setting up. I'm going to start with 8 small Discus; but after that, the load will be less: Rummynose, Corys, etc.

I'll go with two. Thanks to the both of you!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Got my 55g yesterday. 

Is there any benefit to painting the back and both sides black, to help keep the stress down of the fish? I'm going to paint the back of it - but curious about the sides. 

Can dark sides reduce some stress of an already stressful situation for them?

I would not paint the sides. You get some viewing through the side panels. I let algae grow on the side panels to help water quality and give the plecos something to eat. If you paint the side panels, less algae (or maybe none) will grow because the light from outside the tank is blocked, light that the algae would otherwise use.

Also, my paint job on the back of my aquarium is a little sloppy. It does not look good from the back. Fortunately, nobody sees the back of my aquarium. But you can see the sides.

If you want to try blacking out the sides, use something that is easily removed - like black paper or plastic. If you decide it is beneficial you can paint it later. You might also consider using black plasti-dip rather than paint. It is easier to apply and easier to remove if you change your mind in the future.

Also, another QT question. 

What things do you put in your QT, for larger fish, such as Discus that I'll be doing - for them to hide. Pvc pipes is kind of out of the question.

Do you just use fake plants?