Humane way to kill snails?

CalmedByFish

Do you have clove oil handy? Clove oil will kill snails the same way it kills fish. Puts them to sleep. I’ve done this for ramshorn snails.

Do a small dose first and a larger dose second. If I remember correctly, they’ll relax out of their shells if it’s working.

If you want to bake them at that point just to be safe, they’ll at least be fairly out of it. (I think. Hard to tell with snails!)

Just a note for anyone following—not all chickens will eat aquarium snails. Only one of my six girls will go for them, and she’s not that interested. But they have the whole backyard to roam. If someone has chickens confined to a run, they’ll probably be more interested.

• Like 1

Good luck with whatever choice you make. I read that an hour in warm, flat beer makes them "drunk" (anesthetized) at which time you can use bleach or another method to kill them painlessly. This was based on reports that they did not loosen their grip immediately, the way they do with hot water.

• Like 1

@CalmedByFishHi, I know you’re really pressed for time but with “hitchhiker” snails I’ve had good luck with my local Petco taking them.  It’s worth a shot if you are local.  They’ve even taken mystery snails I could not keep.  

Otherwise, everyone on here seems to have really good knowledge and thoughts on this.

good luck with your snails and moving!  

Edited by Lauren A
Forgot something

Updating for future readers:

I went the oven route. To get it over with fast for the snails, I did a pre-heated very hot oven, metal pans, tried to keep the gravel shallow, and let the oven maintain its high temp for 10 minutes before turning it off. (The gravel didn't burst.)

Fair warning if you also have to do it: It will reek. 

• Like 1

If no one is going to re-use the gravel, I'd just dump it--snails and all--into the trash. Save yourself the hassle of the other options.

I cant imagine being boiled alive, cooked alive, or poisoned and burned alive by bleach is any more humane than being put in the trash.

At least this way, they have a chance to get their affairs in order, revisit any profound moments of joy experienced in life, and then hug their loved ones goodbye before shuffling off this mortal coil.

Honestly, just get rid of them the easiest way for you and don't beat yourself up with guilt over it.

Did I just nudge this topic into that thread-locking area of aquarium ethics? Probably.  😉

Edited by tolstoy21

On 6/17/2021 at 1:55 AM, CalmedByFish said:

Updating for future readers:

I went the oven route. To get it over with fast for the snails, I did a pre-heated very hot oven, metal pans, tried to keep the gravel shallow, and let the oven maintain its high temp for 10 minutes before turning it off. (The gravel didn't burst.)

Fair warning if you also have to do it: It will reek. 

Ah the deed is done!

Please ignore my tongue-in-cheek (yet totally serious) comment above!

Edited by tolstoy21