Flashing Cory's a Problem?

Mmiller2001

Quick breakdown. These guys just came out of QT, bit longer than 3 weeks. 

Week 1: Med trio

Week 2: Gills red and flashing, dosed Paracleanse per box direction.

Week 3: Ich X for 5 days straight.

Plus a few days, saw no flashing and added to main display.

Do Cory's just do this or I did I not get all of what was happening back in QT? It will be impossible to remove them without stressing the whole tank (75G, 7.4pH, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate, 5 GH, 4KH)

Thanks for looking.

Cory-Scratch.gif

Dang, 7.4PH with all those tannins and wood in there? That's crazy. However I'm in the same boat, my water is almost 8 out of the tap. Takes a lot to get my water down to a lower PH. I've had cory's flash like this before, usually a water change fixes the problem, sometimes they just do it because they like the sand. I'm not sure. If it becomes excessive flashing, then you could do some salt in the tank and see if that helps ease things.

• Administrators

I would say something is off a bit. If they are continually doing this, I would try a 1 week treatment of Prazi. If there are no plants you could also add a tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons as a very mild anti parasite. I suspect that possibly there are some gill flukes, but its very hard to diagnose over the internet. 

30 minutes ago, Fadewood said:

Dang, 7.4PH with all those tannins and wood in there? That's crazy. However I'm in the same boat, my water is almost 8 out of the tap. Takes a lot to get my water down to a lower PH. I've had cory's flash like this before, usually a water change fixes the problem, sometimes they just do it because they like the sand. I'm not sure. If it becomes excessive flashing, then you could do some salt in the tank and see if that helps ease things.

At one point my KH dropped to 1 unexpectedly, and that dropped my pH to 6.8, which scared me. So now I keep my KH at 4 which holds that 7.4 7.3 well. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Mmiller2001 said:

Thank you both. My initial guess was flukes. I just ordered prazi but in the meantime I could dose Paracleanse. Should I wait for the Prazi or try the Paracleanse again now? I do have plants.

Being that you did 1 round of Paracleanse, I'd probably just wait. Even though Paracleanse has Prazi in it, I believe Prazi is a higher concentration being the solo drug. 

• 1 year later...