SLIGHTLY BURNED CANISTER FILTER

Liam

Hello. As you can probably tell this is urgent and I need help. The other night I turned off the water flow to my Eheim canister filter because I was feeding microworms. I was going to turn back on the water flow that night but I forgot. I didn’t remember about it running and not have water flow until the next night. By then it was very hot and smelled burnt. I turned it off and waited for it to cool down. I then plugged it back in since it only slightly smells like burnt rubber. I hope someone can tell me if my fish will be alright and if I can still use the filter. Thank You 

It might help to strip down the filter so we can see what -if anything- is actually damaged. I don't know the anatomy of the eheim canisters but it might just be the impeller which is damaged - as running it dry means no coling or lubrication -  which should be easy to replace. It might also scorch the impeller housing so it would be good to check that also.

it could be as simple as it burned the o-rings, or as bad as it melted through the motor housing making it unsafe. while it would be great to say go ahead and use it, without having it in my hands to inspect it, no way. 

I opened it up and nothing looks damaged. There is a slight electrical burn smell coming from the sealed off white section  (the attached picture). I still don’t know if it is safe. Also, the impeller isn’t damaged. Any advice. Thank You.

image.jpg

Edited by Liam

2 hours ago, Markp2483 said:

I would set it up running it in a 5 gallon bucket for 24 hrs. Preferably in a garage or shed. If it doesn’t leak, catch fire, shock you, or make a lot of noise probably ok

I have still been running it on my tank and nothing bad has happened so I think it is fine.