Impromptu Three Gallon Aquascape

Patrick_G

On 9/6/2021 at 5:11 PM, Patrick_G said:

I’m sad to say I couldn’t find my Female Sparkling Gouramis when I rearranged the tank. I hadn’t seen them in a while but I thought they were hiding in the jungle. The Male has always been a front of the tank kind of fish and he’s doing great as is the little Peacock Gudgeon. 

Today I saw another Gourami! Now I have hope the third one is also hiding somewhere. I never did see any bodies or registered any ammonia spikes so there’s hope. 

• Like 2

On 9/12/2021 at 3:47 PM, Streetwise said:

It has been a long time since I tried a new species. These are on my radar. I might have kept them as a kid.

I think they might be perfect for your style. They seem to like lots of plant cover and they actually look better in less light. Its not really a fish you can see from across the room but it’s fun to get up close to the tank and see their behaviors. I feed little drops of baby brine and watch them hunt. 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/6/2021 at 8:23 PM, Patrick_G said:

Haha, I’m setting up a shelf unit for my wife’s house plants. She knows I want to put some Wabi Kusa on it but in reality I’m envisioning this (minus the dishes but add more tanks!)

D1DA0535-C96D-460C-BF69-DBD510E5B5C1.jpeg.86954eef9f27716e3f05d6c04f75cf55.jpeg

I've eyed that unit since I discovered his channel this summer. Probably my favorite 'scaping channel. Finding the various explorations on CO2 really informative lately.

• Like 2

On 10/24/2021 at 2:56 PM, Patrick_G said:

It’s MJ Aquascaping. It’s easy to go down a rabbit hole of Eastern European aquascaping channels. 

Indeed. GreenAqua set up wildly unrealistic expectations for myself, but I do enjoy seeing what they can do. They have naturally hard water, would love to see how they would work with it vs always using RO. But they introduced me to the international competition tanks and the genesis in Japan. 

• 4 months later...

Snails for the Win! 
I reset the tank when my Sparkling Gourami disappeared and then returned only to die soon after. 
My wife gave me a nice cutting of Anubias nana, but it was covered in a thick layer of green algae, really thick! I added a Nerite and four 1/4” ramshorn snails.  It took them about a week to totally clean it up. It’s now covered with snail poop but that’s easy to remove. CD5A1066-446B-4A49-981E-FDCCF619D388.jpeg.cc7fdcec7d0be52ca8a54a39c3c5ba4b.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I bought two Otocinclus that are now quarantining in this tank. There’s plenty of algae but I’m not sure it’s their preferred type. I’ll be keeping a close eye until I see fat bellies. The Nerite has been removed so they don’t have as much competition for food. 

• 4 months later...