Uprooting Crypts

Hi!

I have 3 crypt undulata that were hit really hard with an algae outbreak.  I lost a ton of leaves due to them being suffocated (I think) and I also had to remove leaves that were so covered in algae that they honestly looked horrible.  Now they look ... well ... sad.

My question is, if I uproot these crypts from my tank, do I need to pull out all of the roots or can I cut the plant out and keep the roots that I can’t pull out in the soil.  I know the roots have established themselves quite well and I don’t want to disturb the dirt too much.  I use Aqua Vitro Aqua Solum as a substrate.  I also house a betta in this tank.  It is 10 gallons.  I also have a few horned nerite on their way to me and hope to receive them soon.  My betta is quite aggressive so I hope the snails work out and can help me out w the algae.

I have more crypts to replace these with.  

Thanks for your help.  I apologize for the lengthy question.  

lauren

@lefty o Hi, thank you.  I don’t have the heart to trash plants so I planned to move them to a spare setup I try to regrow plants I’ve lost, with some success, to see what happens.  

Thanks for letting me know this.  Maybe I will give them some more time to see what happens.  Otherwise I will do what you recommend to uproot them.  Thank you very much.  

• Like 1

On 6/2/2021 at 10:16 AM, Lauren A said:

Thank you very much @therealTruthSeeker I feel bad not giving them a chance.  I chopped off most of the leaves on 2 of them.  Do you think I should cut all of the leaves to encourage new growth or leave them alone and be patient.  Thanks!

If you don't mind the look you could leave them and give them some time. Crypt roots will pull nutrients from the melting Leaves and stems to help fuel new growth.

• Thanks 1

Cut off all the leaves just above the rosette, if the roots are healthy new leaves will re-grow and the plant will be healthier than before. Whenever I plant new crypts I cut all the leaves off in such manner to avoid crypt melt. Been keeping crypts for decades and still have quite a few in my 75 gallon Amazon inspired jungle tank. The only exception is Cryptocoryne parva, if you cut all its leaves off it won't come back.20210515_212251a-Edit.jpeg.9e029d9318b833a13bc3307848f181f7.jpeg

PS: Adding some root tabs at this time won't hurt either and ensure they have all the nutrients they need to form new leaves.

Edited by Jungle Fan
PS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cutting off the leaves on a new plant is good advice but sometimes you are wasting good leaves. When I ordered my crypt lutea from the co-op I just planted them. I only had 3 leaves melt. I would've Wasted all that good growth had I cut them. Now I will always wait a while before taking drastic measures.  I guess if your tank stocking is so heavy that you can't absorb The little bit of ammonia the melt will produce then cutting them back is the better option. I suspect though that most tanks can handle the ammonia load just fine.

• Thanks 1

Crypt might grow back if you leave the roots (A-C root tabs might help), and good luck with your snail! My betta needed a cleanup crew in his tank, and I was concerned about aggression with tankmates, so I threw in two ramshorns from another tank. He didn't notice them until they were near the top, and he has had several flairing sessions when that happens and knocked one off a decoration once. Once there were baby snails, I put the two adults plus a few babies back in the other tank, so as not to upset him with an inundation of snails. I've tried to explain that he should be nice to his housekeeping staff! Any other tankmates are unfortunately out of the question after seeing him with these snails. I'd love some shrimp in there though...

• Thanks 1

@Jungle Fan @Maggie and @therealTruthSeeker  Thank you SO much for all of your help.  I was able to find 2 horned nerites (finally) to add to Buddy (my bettas) tank!  I’m so glad.  I have them on quarantine for a couple of weeks but anxiously awaiting to giving them a shot.  I definitely need the help and they are SO adorable.  

As for the crypts, I did remove one but did not realize how far it was rooted and decided the other two needed more time.  After that, I followed your advice and went ahead and cut what leaves I did see that were not looking so hot from the other two.  I moved the crypt I removed into another “spare” tank that will eventually house another betta so we’ll see how it does.  I do use root tabs too.

Any chance anyone could let me know if Aquarium Co-ops Easy Green can be used with the nerites.  I know copper is a big no no with snails but I’m not sure if maybe the amount is so small it will be ok?  Thanks so much!  Hope everyone is having a nice weekend!  

@Jungle Fan  Your tank is gorgeous!  Thank you for your advice and sharing all of your knowledge too!

@Maggie Thank you for your moral support with Buddy + the snails!  I’m glad you’re having success!  He’s definitely a feisty but adorable lil guy!  So funny though!   Bettas really have such fun personalities! 

ok, sorry for the long post!  I appreciate all of your help!  I learn new things everyday with this hobby!

take care,

Lauren

• Like 3