Netting fish yourself at LFS or big box store?

CT_

I've been afraid to ask anyone this question because maybe I'm a terrible person for even asking, but is it okay to ask to net a fish out yourself?  Is it different at a LFS vs bigbox?

When I was probably about 8yo the local pet store would let me net out my own feeder goldfish for our fish pond about half the times I asked, but I was cute and they were 10c fish.  These days I want to ask because some times I want "that" fish or "those" fish but sometimes when I ask they say okay and then just net whatever.  I'm mostly talking about cheap (<4$) fish like neons, mutt guppies, etc.  I assume if I'm buying a 40$ fish they'd take my which fish request more seriously and I'd for sure correct them if they got it wrong.

Is this common at fish stores?  Is it something employees hate to be asked.  I don't want to be that guy.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CT_ said:

I've been afraid to ask anyone this question because maybe I'm a terrible person for even asking, but is it okay to ask to net a fish out yourself?  Is it different at a LFS vs bigbox?

When I was probably about 8yo the local pet store would let me net out my own feeder goldfish for our fish pond about half the times I asked, but I was cute and they were 10c fish.  These days I want to ask because some times I want "that" fish or "those" fish but sometimes when I ask they say okay and then just net whatever.  I'm mostly talking about cheap (<4$) fish like neons, mutt guppies, etc.  I assume if I'm buying a 40$ fish they'd take my which fish request more seriously and I'd for sure correct them if they got it wrong.

Is this common at fish stores?  Is it something employees hate to be asked.  I don't want to be that guy.

I have to laugh . . . because last summer this happened . . .

I went to a large chain pet store to buy guppies for our outdoor pond. I knew exactly what I wanted, but with COVID, I had to stand back away, and had to point from some 12 ft distance at the exact guppy I wanted. The employee (intone: deep south expression, "ain't you precious!" ) had clearly _ _ N E V E R _ _ caught a fish before in a net. It was just about the most unbearable experience I have ever had at a pet store. After 5 minutes of mashing and smashing all of the fish in the tank against the side, and pulling out the  _ _ W R O N G _ _ guppy half a dozen times, I just gave up and said "That's fine just give me that one . . ." (facepalm)

• Haha 3

I've offered to catch the fish I want myself on multiple occasions when it's been clear the person trying to catch the fish was overmatched, but no one's ever let me. I don't know what they think I'll do, but they always are horrified at the prospect of someone else dipping a net in their tanks. One fish catcher once dropped a fish I wanted onto the floor then eventually scooped it back into the net and dumped it in the container and was shocked and annoyed when I said I didn't want it after they'd dropped it on the floor. There are some really bad fish catchers out there.

6 hours ago, CT_ said:

maybe I'm a terrible person for even asking, but is it okay to ask to net a fish out yourself?

In China, asking that means you are a great person. LFSs here are more than happy to let customers get their desired fish by themselves, which I often do. At least, reasonably sized/common fish.

• Like 1

It's a liability thing I'm sure. While we might take great care to net fish, but there are some psychos out there that would be happy to stick the net in and stir the whole tank up until it's nothing but fish soup. 

I'm sure establishing a report with your fish store, and more importantly the people in that fish store goes a long way to getting over that hurdle. I don't visit my fish stores enough for that. I'm in mostly once a month and the staff are usually understaffed and too busy to build any kind of relationship with their customers. I've had some great conversations with some staff but because of high turn over and low wages they don't tend to stick around very long. 

I've done it at my LFS because I have a good relationship with them and am even friends with one of the employees, but they were the ones to offer due to how slammed they were at the time.

Just ask! It doesn't hurt to ask. If they say no, no biggie. You're not being rude by asking.