Question about tank maintenance and odor

Leo2o915

Just now, H.K.Luterman said:

Are you sure the tank itself is what's stinky? Check if there's any food stuck on the rim or lid - wipe it clean with a wet paper towel. 

Ok so check that and what else can you do ? Like the water smells a little murky 

56 minutes ago, H.K.Luterman said:

A healthy aquarium will have a pond smell to it, especially one with live plants. It's just a product of the little ecosystem going on in there. It's when it starts to smell BAD is when things need to be fixed.

Someone here described tanks as smelling like roots, which is probably the closest I've come to describing how mine smell. Loamy? Forest-ish? Smell is definitely one of those parameters which can't be measured and shouldn't be ignored. The only time I've had water foul, due to feeding broccoli, the smell was obviously wrong.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Schwack said:

Someone here described tanks as smelling like roots, which is probably the closest I've come to describing how mine smell. Loamy? Forest-ish? Smell is definitely one of those parameters which can't be measured and shouldn't be ignored. The only time I've had water foul, due to feeding broccoli, the smell was obviously wrong.

I think that's the best description I've heard.  Anyone know what that smell actually is?  nitrates?  My quarantine/cull shrimp tank which I've "neglected" horribly but has the most healthy plants and clearest water and happy cull shrimp.