Python water changer alternative

Lehob

Having a very difficult time trying to find a python no spill drain and fill kit for my tank maintenance. Please if anyone has any suggestions for alternatives or links for the python at a fair price  I’d be grateful seems hard to find these things Thankyou for any and all help on this matter 

Edited by Lehob
Grammar

This, a garden hose, and a sponge filter for the end of the hose if yo have small fish.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/cleaning-supplies/products/python-super-pump

EDIT:  You will also need the faucet adaptor.  Any hardware store worth a darn will have them, just take your aerator with you in case the have more than one style.

Edited by KBOzzie59

I loved the idea of the Python when I first saw it, but using it in practice seemed to waste a ton of water. For water changes, I basically built my own Python "hook" from a couple bucks worth of PVC and vinyl tubing from Home Depot and use buckets to take out and water my lawn. For filling, I use a Lee's version of the Python Super Pump hooked up to a coiled plastic garden house that I had lying around. I built another PVC "hook" for filling that I screw on the end of that which hangs on the tank as I fill it. The whole thing cost me maybe $20 (with the exception of the garden hose that I already had)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, B1gJ4k3 said:

I loved the idea of the Python when I first saw it, but using it in practice seemed to waste a ton of water. For water changes, I basically built my own Python "hook" from a couple bucks worth of PVC and vinyl tubing from Home Depot and use buckets to take out and water my lawn. For filling, I use a Lee's version of the Python Super Pump hooked up to a coiled plastic garden house that I had lying around. I built another PVC "hook" for filling that I screw on the end of that which hangs on the tank as I fill it. The whole thing cost me maybe $20 (with the exception of the garden hose that I already had)

You could try buying a long vinyl tube for siphoning water out to your lawn so you don’t have to deal with buckets. I hate buckets. 

On 5/18/2021 at 9:56 AM, B1gJ4k3 said:

I really like my python. I can see your point about wasting a lot of water. I just turn the faucet off once the suction has established and it does it thing. I am not strong enough to carry buckets back and forth so it is extremely helpful for me.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I absolutely hate the Python. It wastes an astonishing amount of water for quite mediocre suction.

My situation required a 100' Python. So I should qualify that this is in it's 100' incarnation and my tanks only being 3' above the drain, the suction is essentially 0. I cannot get enough suction to even lift the smallest dirt particles from the gravel.

I foolishly bought all the add-on's before trying it, the extension, the primer, the hook, but IMO at least in 100 lengths, it's $150+ for a glorified garden hose.

I had to add a submersible pond pump just to be able to use it as a vacuum. But at least it doesn't pump 100-200 gallons of clean water down the drain every time you do maintenance. 

Obviously my experience is not typical as it's very popular. But frankly even if it worked for me, I'd never use a device that wastes that much water. 

If you only have 1-2 tanks maybe find alternatives or even buckets (I got my python with only 1 tank) but I recommend waiting and getting the python the type of tubing they use alone makes all the difference. Very flexible but sturdy. The attachments are great as well, high quality plastic. I gravel vac tanks that are lower than my drain (have to keep water running for these) but if tank is higher once siphoned water reaches drain your good to turn water off. The connection at the water supply again hard high quality hard plastic. I’m a big fan and now I have 14 tanks what a tool!!! If on a budget I get it but Its like this Im a cabinet maker/ hanger by trade and I always recommend to save up and buy dewalt or Milwaukee drills and THATS IT. Nothing and I mean nothing else holds up to the beating we give them everyday. I feel the same about this tool.

wait and buy the best it will outlast all the other brands and DIY. This comment is not sponsored 😜