Water Diffuser For Filling Tank

Patrick_G

Python hooks are neat, but I found I just don't spend the time to remove the syphon and replace it with the hook. When starting a new aquarium and filling for the first time, I generally use a rock/stone to diffuse the water so the substrate is minimally effected. I don't worry about the substrate after that point. 

• Like 1

MD has said his is an inlet strainer from a canister filter that he adapted. Dean's is from some unknown person who makes them with a 3-D printer ( I think I saw some conversation about it on here but can't find it).

Here's mine, not commercially available but pretty cheap and easy to make.

filler.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ccurtis said:

Aquaclear 110 intake tubes fit on the python hook and work well for defusing water. You can also put a sponge on it if you really want it to slow the flow and defuse more. 

Cool! Thanks I have an extra Aquaclear 70 tube, I’ll see if it works. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
On 5/15/2021 at 12:56 PM, Patrick_G said:

I’m thinking a python hook with some sort of diffuser and flow regulator. 

I'm using a co-op large prefilter and a net to hold it up against the end of the python.  I also use styrafoam on the water surface when need be.

As far as "commercial products" it would be great if python had one.  Unfortunately your best bet is a place like etsy.  I've seen videos where someone had what looks like a standard plumbing part, but I am not sure what it is.  It almost looks like a sink stopper (black rubber with holes in the end).

I've also seen a lot of people shove an aquaclear input strainer on the end.

I use a filter sock clipped to the side of the aquarium. These also work great for siphoning water out if you don't want to suck up small fish. I use them to do water changes on tanks with teeny-tiny fry or shrimp.

I use a python hook to regulate the water flow into the sock since it has a ball valve on it. The sock does the diffusion. 

Filter socks are a super-simple and inexpensive solution that require no DIY skills at all. They are available to most aquarium stores.

image.png.a3582eb46244b4253e6a6fae7b29f53e.png

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 1