just one more fish

Jason A.

I think I have enough bio load room in my 20g tall for a nice flashy "hey see how pretty cool I am" fish. 

current tank occupants: 6x Green Fire Tetra, 3x Amano shrimp, 2x Julii Corydoras, 1x Neon Blur Goby, 1x large Nerite Snail, 2x small Nerite Snails, 1x bossy Reticulated Hillstream Loach.

I feel a lot of options are taken away due to the shrimp possibly becoming a meal and now I have to be concerned with my loach picking a fight with other options.

so I am opening up to the room looking for suggestions

Edited by Jason A.
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jason A. said:

I think I have enough bio load room in my 20g tall for a nice flashy "hey see how pretty cool I am" fish. 

current tank occupants: 6x Green Fire Tetra, 3x Amano shrimp, 2x Julii Corydoras, 1x Neon Blur Goby, 1x large Nerite Snail, 2x small Nerite Snails, 1x bossy Reticulated Hillstream Loach.

I feel a lot of options are taken away due to the shrimp possibly becoming a meal and now I have to be concerned with my loach picking a fight with other options.

so I am opening up to the room looking for suggestions

Temperature? Plants? Water flow? pH? 

• Like 1

Luckily amano shrimp are bigger then the regular neocardina shrimp like Cherry Shrimp.

If you really want that flashy fish I would do the Apistogramma Cacatuoides, they really do have an amazing flashy red color to them.

You may wanna consider doing some rams. If you choose the German Blue Rams make sure their water is hot (at least 80F). You could also go way with the bolovian ram as they can do with the more "normal tempertures" (Like mid 70sF)

• Like 1

heater is set at 72 but weather here as not given it any reason to turn on, right now it's 78, our A/C is on the fritz. Plants I have a Java Fern, Red Tiger Lotus, Mermaid Weed, Money Wart, Baby Tears and Christmas Moss. Water flow I have a Aquaclear 30 with corse medium and fine sponges and Biohome Biogravel, water flow seems pretty good. Ph was 7.3 but closer to 7.0 now I started to used Co2

I don't know much about a lot of species in the aqua-world, but - based on my limited experience - I would suggest a long-finned betta - they are suuuuper "Look at me!"!!!  (Although, a short-fin - as suggested earlier - would probably work, too!)

I've got a Salamander Dumbo Halfmoon Betta, 7 Julii's, 5 Lambchop rasboras, 2 nerites, and ~13 short nose algae shrimp (which I think are smaller than amanos) in my 20 long.  I can't speak for the goby or the loach...but I know that the rest of your stock would get along with a betta just fine!

You could go to a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) online retailer, and pick a pretty betta with zero full flare pictures.  If you want to know where I got my guy (Pete), send me a DM!

Here's Pete and a shrimp on Day 1:

502367026_Screenshot2021-04-287_22_16PM.png.7a2ffd52cf9261b93e1ad5c6a3c44da6.png

• Like 2
  • Love 1