Medaka and WCMM in the same outdoor tub?

GHSEZG

I have 11 Gold White Cloud Mountain Minnows that have been in an outdoor tub for several months. I bought 5 Platinum Medaka Rice Fish about 2 weeks ago that are in a separate outdoor tub. I would like to maximize breeding of both. Can I safely put both species in a single large heavily planted tub without worrying about increased predation of one species adults against the other's Fry? In other words, do the fish recognize the other species fry as "foreign" and are more likely to eat the other species fry than their own? I know both species are pretty good about not eating their own fry given enough food and cover. Neither have shown any signs of spawning yet. Any other hints for breeding these 2 species? Thanks for your input and experience.

• Like 1

Since they are already in separate tubs, I may just let them stay that way until I see at least some fry. Then at least I will know what fry they are, and which group is producing viable fry at what rate. And eventually maybe I'll put all the adults in one tub and use another to raise fry. It is just always easier to maintain one bigger tub rather than 2 smaller. Knowing me, I will have a dozen tubs by the end of summer.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

OK, so I started a new topic, but will also post here.

"So I have Platinum Medakas and Golden White Cloud Mountain Minnows and a spawning mop in a 100 gallon outdoor Rubbermaid tub. And there are eggs visible in the spawning mop. Any way to tell which eggs they are? How about if I separate them out and they hatch into fry? Can I tell them apart as fry? How old until they get big enough to tell apart? At what point will I be able to differentiate the species? Thank you for your input!"

I have 2 types of mops. There are 3 floaters consisting of scrubbie pads cut into strips floating from a section of pool noodle. The other is a large yarn mop which inhabits the mid to bottom of the tank. The WCMM stay almost exclusively at the bottom and the Medaka are in the mid to top of he tub. The eggs were found in the yarn mop, so I am thinking they are more likely WCMM. I am hoping the medaka will deposit there eggs in the floating mops. The eggs are very small <1mm and a light yellow color. I just removed about a dozen into a small food container to observe.