Clean up crew with Oranda

D Robinson

Hi all, quick question what is the best clean up with 3 small Oranda Goldfish (still young), I have a 40G, 3 nerite snails, and a few shrimp. What other stocking idea can you think of to help stir the substrate (mid size aquarium gravel 4-8mm ish) to help keep it clean ish? Would cory’s do ok with goldfish, was thinking red ancistrous but open to any ideas. Tank is heated to 20’C or 68’F. Combination of live and artificial plants.

I think that goldfish themselves would stir up the substrate really well. I don't think any red ancistrus or corys would withstand those temperatures for very long. The nerites and shrimp should do fairly well with any algae while the goldfish would stir up the substrate for you

Although there are many fish that might work as bottom dwellers in an unheated goldfish aquarium (paleatus cories, dojo loaches, hillstream loaches even) I don't think a 40 gallon would be big enough to accomodate for all of them, especially once the goldfish get big. Alternatively, I think the goldfish will stir up the substrate by themselves (after all they are a type of carp), though you could add snails as a supplementary "cleap-up crew."