Help! Can corys spread ich?

Zoidar

We had a tank with Ich. Since the corys were uninfected we moved the corys to an empty tank, and doing heat treatment on the main tank. Now I have heard that if we move back the corys to the main tank they may reintroduce ich, even they have no visible spots. Now I don't know what to do. Can corys spread ich, and how do you know if they have the parasite? /Peter

Edited by Zoidar

14 minutes ago, Zoidar said:

We had a tank with Ich. Since the corys were uninfected we moved the corys to an empty tank, and doing heat treatment on the main tank. Now I have heard that if we move back the corys to the main tank they may reintroduce ich, even they have no visible spots. Now I don't know what to do. Can corys spread ich, and how do you know if they have the parasite? /Peter

Fish can only introduce ich to a tank if they have ich on them. It is just harder to see the ich on cories due to their armored skin. If they do not have ich, they will not introduce ich to the tank inhabitants. Just be careful to check the cories meticulously for symptoms of ich: any white spots, lethargy, and others, before introduction.

• Like 1

These corys are Panda corys. If we detect spots (there might be a spot), what is the best way to treat it? We tried Esha Exit for over two weeks, since it didn't do it, we switched to JBL Punktol for two weeks. After tiredsome treatment and ich just getting worse we decided to try heat. So we moved the corys to another tank and did 30°C on the main tank. It's soon been a week and ich is almost gone. Since the bad experience with meds, I would hate to use it on the corys. I have also heard salt treatment is dangerous for corys. So what's the option?

Edited by Zoidar

On 4/26/2021 at 3:17 PM, Zoidar said:

These corys are Panda corys. If we detect spots (there might be a spot), what is the best way to treat it? We tried Esha Exit for over two weeks, since it didn't do it, we switched to JBL Punktol for two weeks. After tiredsome treatment and ich just getting worse we decided to try heat. So we moved the corys to another tank and did 30°C on the main tank. It's soon been a week and ich is almost gone. Since the bad experience with meds, I would hate to use it on the corys. I have also heard salt treatment is dangerous for corys. So what's the option?

Yes I've heard cories do not tolerate salt very well. Are there any other ich medications in your area? If not, I would say keep up the heat treatment for another few days if the ich persists.