Celestial Pearl Danio (CPD) Sex Ratio

Tyler LaZerte

I am getting some CPDS to be the main fish in my new 17 gallon (24inx12inx14in) coming soon. There will also be neo blue shrimp, 4 different Nerite snail species, 10 common otocinclus, a rabbit snail, and a cappuccino snail. 

Having said that, how many CPDS would you put in this tank and what should the sex ratio be? 

Edited by Tyler LaZerte

You could put maybe 10 CPD's as long as there are lots of plants, you should start off with a group of about 6 first and then slowly add the others. Sex ratio for CPD's should be about 1 male for every 2 females. The males will flare at each other every now and then but the more females, the better. 

7 hours ago, Tyler LaZerte said:

I am getting some CPDS to be the main fish in my new 17 gallon (24inx12inx14in) coming soon. There will also be neo blue shrimp, 4 different Nerite snail species, 10 common otocinclus, a rabbit snail, and a cappuccino snail. 

Having said that, how many CPDS would you put in this tank and what should the sex ratio be? 

Looking at your stocking  I think you would struggle to have enough algae for 10 Otto in a tank that size 

I would put at least 20 CPDs in that tank. I just checked the size of my 45l in US gallons (why can't you people use normal gallons or litres? 😜) It's just under 12 US gallons and I have 16 CPDs in there plus a few other fish, 4 horned nerites, 5 amano shrimp that I am growing out and a blue dream shrimp colony. Heavily planted and I do a small water change every 3-4 weeks with no nitrate problems. I started off with 8 CPDs but they're much happier now there are more.

I agree with the others that you probably want to reduce the oto count. 

2 minutes ago, Pigeonduck said:

I would put at least 20 CPDs in that tank. I just checked the size of my 45l in US gallons (why can't you people use normal gallons or litres? 😜) It's just under 12 US gallons and I have 16 CPDs in there plus a few other fish, 4 horned nerites, 5 amano shrimp that I am growing out and a blue dream shrimp colony. Heavily planted and I do a small water change every 3-4 weeks with no nitrate problems. I started off with 8 CPDs but they're much happier now there are more.

I agree with the others that you probably want to reduce the oto count. 

@Pigeonduck Us Americans and our inability to adopt the metric system 😉 

Thank you for your input. 20 cpds would look amazing in this tank. I just hope they bioload wouldn't be too much. 

2 hours ago, Tyler LaZerte said:

@Colu Thank you for your input. I am hoping I can supplement with some blanched vegetables and high quality algae wafers. How many Otos would you reccomend?

I would put 3 Otto in a tank that size with snails they're won't be a lot of algae for them it can be difficult to get them to accept other foods I would add the Otto after 3-6 months to allow the tank to mature and develop lots  of biofilm and algae for them to eat it will give you breathing room to try and get them to accept other foods

Edited by Colu

I've currently got 42 CPD in a 10 gallon, but I'd much rather have closer to 15-20. Waiting on a few of the runts to grow a bit before they all move to a 40 gallon. Having said that, my original group had 5 males to 3 females and they seemed to get along without much issue. I would rarely see males flare at each other, generally it was only a concern when one was trying to herd a female to spawn. My forktail rainbow boys chase and harass each other much more than the CPD guys ever did. If you can manage it, obviously a better M:F ratio would be ideal, but my experience with CPD has been that they're typically sold well before they can be sexed.

I've had good luck with a 2:1 M:F ratio also. Males will chase each other but so will females. They're all "mildly" ornery with each other but it rarely gets physical.

I have optimistic feelings about stocking. There's nothing overtly wrong with the one or two per gallon it just depends on how many water changes you want to do. Two per gallon takes weekly water changes for me.

Edited by Lowells Fish Lab
Spelling